Open notes on the right without additional split?

Things I have tried

I have tried all key combinations and tried to find help in the documentation.

What I’m trying to do

I use Obsidian on Mac and have it open with the file browser in the left sidebar, then a left “panel” and a right “panel” …

In the left panel, I often have a main note open.
This may contain links to other notes.

I seek a way to open such notes on the right panel - without splitting the panel again, as I always only want 2 panels and not 3 or 4.

So “open to the right” does not work, as it simply splits the left panel.

I cannot find a way to do this.

And the same should work with links from the file browser.
Right now, this can be done by first clicking on the right panel and then clicking on the note in the filebrowser.
This is … to much for me :slight_smile: Also, this trick does not work for links from the left panel - they always open in the left panel.

So, is there a way to change the settings or an configuration file or a combination of keys that allows to open a note in the right panel?

Many many thanks.

1 Like

Ah, and it should NOT open a new tab, of course …
Just open in the existing panel and tab :slight_smile:

Nobody needs 1000ths of tabs.

I found out, that I can simulate this by dragging a link from the filebrowser or the left panel ONTO the tab on the right panel.

But I need todo this very very often …

So, way to reach the same by just clicking on a link would be very much appreciated :slight_smile:

More exactly

So basically, I seek the option “open in this tab” for the active tab in the right panel - for anything that I click on in the filebrowser or the left panel.

Here’s a feature request you may like: Hotkey or Modifier click link to open in pane to left/right/above/below

Thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks, I don’t really understand that feature :smiley:
Mine seems more simple, even if similar.

But I take it, that my “open in the active tab of the right panel on click” is not possible.

Very sad.

I am wondering how to you the second panel then, or if you really always drag and drop onto the tab on the right panel.

Anyways, many thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

Yea. Unfortunately it is not possible. If I want to open a specific note in the Tab Group to the right, and I don’t already have a Tab Group on the right, I will do a Split Right via hotkey, then use my hotkey for Quick Switcher to open the note.

If I already have a Tab Group open on the right, I will use hotkey for Focus Right, then use hotkey for Quick Switcher.

I hope this helps some.

1 Like

Thanks, I will check out Quick Switcher, but I rarely use keyboard commands … mostly using the mouse to navigate around and open things.

This is my workaround

• pin your main note on the left
  • select ‘open to the right’ on one link in your main document
  • now clicking further links in the main note will re-use the tab group you just created

I can’t tell if this is intended behaviour or just a useful bug, It’s pretty confusing and flaky.

1 Like

That’s helps!

Seems to work for all use-cases I tried …

Many thanks!

After last update this workaround not work… All links now open on the right (that’s crazy when I have few links to the same note) Do you know others way to implement same behavior?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.