"Open in default app" command should open file under cursor

Use case or problem

I mainly use Obsidian for stuyding, and have “index” notes that contain links to material (mostly in pdf form), e.g. exercises, lectures, answer sheets per week.

I find the built-in pdf viewer too clunky in sliding planes mode, especially on a small laptop screen. And the current workflow to “open this pdf in system viewer” is just that little bit inconvenient, hence this post :).

Proposed solution

“open in default app” keybind should open highlighted link, if present. This might be a little bit confusing, but should behave as it does currently if the cursor isn’t on a link.

Or, perhaps an additional command “open link under cursor in default app” that could instead be used if the current behaviour is considered more intuitive.

Current workaround (optional)

ctr + enter to visit the highlighted link in new tab,
“open in defaut app” command (in my keybinds alt+o),
switch focus back to obsidian,
close the new tab (for which sadly the default keybind doesn’t work, which shivers requires the use of the mouse)

3 Likes

+1
Same here!
The keyboard shortcut “Open in default app” should do the same, like the right-click-context-menue-command “Open in default app”.

1 Like

Totally agree. I thought it was supposed to work like that and was thinking of submitting a bug report. I wish there were:

• An ‘open link under cursor in default app’ command
  • A global ‘open all [filetype] in default app’ setting
1 Like