Onyx Boox + Obsidian Appreciation Theme

Lots of people talking about the takes forever to start thing. I think this is due to the very short default timeout for automatically turning it off completely. It’s perfectly fine to just put it to sleep, and it starts immediately.

2 Likes

startup definitely takes awhile, but recommend turning off the “deep sleep” mode or whatever (or setting it for 3 days or a week if I remember the options right). I just use the screen off after 15m option.

1 Like

I finally found this setting and the one that makes the font less horribly bloopy and things are definitely better now on that end.

The codemirror bug is still annoying but the new plugin to clean up single breaks has made things a LOT nicer so I’ve started using my boox more.

2 Likes

i get mine back from repair later this week so I’ll try to play around with some other ideas!

1 Like

I am currently considering the new Boox Air 2 and would love your honest views - is the Obsidian / Boox integration (e.g. using handwriting) good enough that you’d recommend it? The intention behind buying the device would be to:

• Replace the Kindle
  • Take Obsidian on the road (i.e. being able to take phone calls while holding this device and scribbling down notes into my vault)

Smooth two way sync and plugin compatibility would be fairly essential to me. Curious to hear your thoughts!

3 Likes

I also recently bought note air 2, and playing with it to get obsidian mobile working.

Any idea what is the best theme for e-ink screen?

I took my boox to Worldcon and it was … really awesome. I didn’t write directly into my vault, I wrote PDFs (because of speed) but I dropped the PDFs right into my vault where I was able to transcribe them easily once I got home.

7 Likes

Ok, I need some real talk regarding the Boox devices.

I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on a Boox Nova Air C. I’m a heavy iPad user and deep into the Apple ecosystem, but I love the e-ink on my Kindle Oasis for reading and I’ve been keeping an eye on Boox devices as they intrigue me.

I’ve been looking for a device for ages that I can use casually in the evenings that isn’t as stimulating as the iPad or iPhone and is a bit kinder to the eyes and brain.

Coming from using an iPad for Obsidian, email, reading twitter, reddit, news, and articles I’ve saved for reading later. I’m wondering if I’ll find the Boox slow and frustrating.

I know it’s going to be useless for watching video, but I’m interested in hearing about how people use these e-ink devices aside from reading books which my Kindle has covered.

Very interested in reading about experiences with the device.

1 Like

Use it just like an Android tablet. Obsidian works well with it and you can change “modes” if you want it faster (with slightly less visual quality - I don’t notice it really) or normal high quality mode (which is slower than a tablet, but only a second or so).

2 Likes

I have both a Note 2 (not Note Air 2, a Note 2…which is ancient-years-old in Boox years, annoyingly) and a Poke 3. I recently 3d-printed a clip-on device stand for my K380 keyboard to create a nice portable writing platform—basically the e-ink typewriter setup I’ve dreamed of having for literally almost a decade. I haven’t had much chance to play with it yet due to a recent move, but experimenting with that setup (including finding a way to cross-sync its Obsidian vault in Google Drive with my main vault in iCloud) is one of my goals this summer. (I also use iA Writer on it.) I’ll do my best to report back with how things go!

3 Likes

Which setting makes the text “less horribly bloopy”?

ooo, please do! I have the Note 2 as well, if I recall [it’s been so long since I used mine I’ve forgotten what it’s called… I had to apply to grad school and I just haven’t had the time or desire to read honestly]
Getting a good Calibre / Zotero / Obsidian / Boox / OneDrive workflow is what I’ve been all about from the start, but I haven’t been able to get it quite right.

1 Like

Hi, can you take handwritten notes on obsidian on the boox? I’m new to obsidian and boox, but I’m doing a PhD and thought the boox would help me to read papers and take notes, and also heard very good comments about obsidian. I’m trying different flows to get my work done better and faster. All tips are appreciated

1 Like

Glad I found this thread!

I am really tempted by the Boox Ultra Tab. The refresh rate on the screen is insanely good based on what I’ve seen on YouTube. I have people watching videos with no ghosting, which is a huge achievement.

The problem is, I have been burnt by Boox before. Has anyone pulled the trigger on this?

Just done so - my Note 2 finally broke. Currently set up with Syncthing and Obisidian, amongst other apps. Gettign to grips with the mobile version of Obisidian, but initial signs are all good. Typing this on it!

I’m trying to decide between the Ultra Tab and the Note Air 2 Plus right now for running obsidian on. I primarily need a device for highlighting/annotating PDFs and other ebooks but the idea of being able to flow this all into Obsidian on an e-ink device is just too tempting. Anyone running Obsidian on the Note Air 2 or 2 plus? How is it?

I have a Note Air using Obsidian, and the experience isn’t too bad. So I expect later models will only get better.

Just don’t expect the plugins like Excalidraw or Canvas (when it hits mobile) to be very responsive.

Two weeks in, how are you feeling about the purchase? Does it feel like something you want to use regularly?

I knew the Onyx decides pretty well, so have been no surprises for me. I love the device, and it’s a significant upgrade on my old Note2. Am using it daily to read and take notes.