On the process of making MOCs

With that ISS example, might I suggest a better name? Launchpad! :smiley:

3 Likes

Oh nice, trying to go a bit further on that:
A Launchpad that can sends us to different Space Stations, so that we can see different sections of our world (which doesn’t mean they can’t share regions).

3 Likes

And suddenly the term broken links could have life/death consequences :grin:

4 Likes

Then you should have Space Stations close to each other so that if one stops working you can quickly change course to one that allows you to see more or less the same section.

1 Like

If I recall Hollywood’s version of that scenario, it didn’t work out so well for Sandra Bullock and George Clooney…

This has been helpful… While I have too many notes to comfortably leave MOC-gazing to the file directory, I have a small enough n to try some experiments and see what is working… Thanks!

2 Likes

I realize I could have just replied: Yes I have an MOC of MOCs.

I’ll usually rely on direct links or the Index / Launchpad :wink: note. But I do not underestimate the value of putting together a new dedicated list. It can be soothing; it can lower anxiety. It can reinforce progress. Or it can just be a form of spaced repetition.

My MOC of MOCs has headers like this:

• Top of Mind MOCs
  • Recent MOCs
  • Ideas MOCs
  • Projects MOCs
  • Favorite Things MOCs
  • Figuring out Life MOCs
  • Mind or Body MOCs
  • Creation and Storytelling MOCs
  • Memory-related MOCs
  • Training MOCs
  • Books MOCs
  • White Dwarf MOCs

One MOC can be under more than one heading of course.

Alternatively, you could make an alphabetical index of MOCs in a separate note. I would manually add the links instead of using backlinks, but that’s just because there’s more control in that.

See what works for you. Please let us know.

9 Likes

This post made me think if I had unorganized notes to turn over to someone else, what would help them understand and find what content existed in the directory?

Create an index with two sections. One section contains a list of concepts or topics, MOCs. The other section consists of current and past projects, TOCs. Via the index, the person should be able to quickly understand what information is present, how the information was used, and how it’s being used. To get even more fine-grained, add a TOC containing a chronological list of daily/todos.

Hopefully, I’m on the right track…

5 Likes

That makes a ton of sense in my process. Thanks for that description!

Sounds like the right track to me! Over time the TOCs could get a little messy for the Index note for my taste, but the easy solution is just putting that info in a new note and linking to it. That’s the right attitude though, “Would this be somewhat clear to somebody other than me?”

1 Like

If I’m getting your drift about the messiness of TOCs in the index, you mean they would start to pile up, and or they would need some kind of structure to make them useful? If so, I agree with that. Depending on how quickly the TOCs (projects) piled up, you could have a weekly, monthly purge where you archived/deleted old TOCs. There could be an “archive TOC” that consisted of a chronological list of TOCs, listed on the index page.

Just to be clear this isn’t a use case for me. Just a thought experiment to put me into a different orientation; to see from a different angle.

2 Likes

Exactly what you said, just that they would start to pile up.

1 Like

@deinos I stumbled across your same picture at the end of this blog you wrote. Bravo!

3 Likes

As you can see from my note, I’m a complete newbie to Obsidian and managed to download IMF but have no clue about neither how to install it nor where to make the items listed in the release notes readable.

You unzip the IMF download to expose the directory. Then you point Obsidian at this directory. To do that you click on “open another vault” at lower left:

open-vault

Then open the folder as a vault:

open-folder-vault

You should then have access to IMF and be able to follow the documentation.

For anyone who might be interested, I’ve opened a new thread on Knowledge, Innovation, Value and Wisdom that focuses on what was formerly a major distraction in this thread. There’s already been some great PKM-friendly contributions made there. Feel free to check it out and add some thoughts!

4 Likes

Thanks for all this information on MOCs; this is quite a helpful topic.

Something I did not came across (or perhaps overlooked) is what the optimal number of notes/links on a MOC is.

I understand that MOCs are flexible and that is a good thing. But as humans we of course have limitations in how much information we can process. And how much we can read without losing the overview. As an extreme example, a MOC with 500 notes on it would not be useful.

So in your experience, what’s a nice size of a MOC note? And at which point do you split a MOC into ‘subtopic MOCs’?

1 Like

Hi, I downloaded the ‘On the Process of Making MOCs.zip’ as well as the latest LYT. I unzipped the files, and when I open the folders, they are md files. I can’t open them. I have a macbook with Big Sur OS and all my software is up to date. How do I use these files? I dragged and dropped the folder into my ‘plugins’ folder in my ‘obsidian folder’ on my desktop. Thanks! -Triya @nickmilo

Hi @Triya ,

The LYT is an entire Obsidian Vault, including all of the markdown files (which is the content itself). You will not want to add this to your plugins folder or your own vault.

Instead, extract the LYT files to their own folder on your machine. Then open Obsidian, click the Open another Vault icon. Next, select Open folder as vault. Then pick the folder where you extracted the LYT files.

I hope this helps. I don’t use a MacBook, so I hope the steps are the same.

2 Likes

Thank you! So I opened a vault that is now LYT. There it is! Do I copy and paste the pieces I want into my other vault, or is there a way to add them to my vault?