On playback of mp4, the bottom of the video is obscured by the player controls

Steps to reproduce

embed an mp4 in a note in which there is content at the bottom edge, particularly in the last frame.
eg ![[ssh.mp4]]

Expected result

able to see the content of the video at the bottom border, and the strip of player controls does not overlay it.

Actual result

the content at the bottom edge of he video is obscured by the player controls

in this example, the video is showing a bash console. The last 3 lines of output cannot be shown. Some programs (like tmux) will write a control bar on the bottom edge of the console, so its not possible to add some empty prompt lines to compensate.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.3.5
Installer version: v1.3.5
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.22000
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 2
Plugins enabled: 2
1: Regex Find/Replace v1.2.0
2: Media Extended v2.11.1

Additional information

The player controls are visible if the pointer is hovering over the embedded video.

If you move (with your mouse, trackpad, etc) the pointer completely away from the video, do the controls disappear after a second or so?

If I click on the note, the video begins to play. While its playing, if i move the mouse away, the controls disappear. But when the playback is completed, they are redrawn. Moving the mouse back and then away, does not have any effect at that point.

Incidentally the cursor in the screenshot is actually just part of the content of the video

this is completely normal.

I would say more normal is for the control bar to disappear when mouse moved away, or to be rendered outside of the video. Eg as when clicking on the attachment as opposed to the note, or in any playback standalone client, where it would not be expected that the controls would overlap the content pane.

Often it is not a critical issue, but here,
I am creating a serious of notes documenting various terminal activity that either ends with a terminal prompt, or say in a terminal multiplexor like tmux, which renders a control bar at the bottom of the terminal window.

This issue really kind of ruins the effect for these notes, the consumer of them needs to see the whole content of the last frame of the video at completion (and preferably while playing, regardless of where the mouse is).

Yeah, but that’s not what obsidian is. You find the same behaviour in, for example, youtube. So I would agree that this is very normal behaviour.

Open a feature request for this.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.