On Mac, shortcuts for "Next/Previous Search Result" should follow the Apple Interface Guidelines (Cmd + G)

Yes, please… This one seems to get me at least once a day.

Hello @gruts , @StefanoCecere and @stephenreid321

take a look at the fantastic plugin Advanced Cursors

This plugin do what you guys want and much much much more!

Thanks, but I think this option should be core functionality: Cmd-G is pretty standard in MacOS. Being forced to use a Windows standard plays havoc with muscle-memory.

+1 for standard key mapping for macOS. Obsidian is the only app I’ve ever seen on macOS that doesn’t use ⌘-G for Find Next. Nearly every mac app supports these same find option hotkeys:

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 09.21.13

Use case or problem

When searching within a file, the hotkey for finding next/previous instances of a search term is not configurable. It is currently set to “return” or F3 which finds next, shift+F3 for previous.

Proposed solution

On macOS the standard is cmd+f to initiate find, then cmd+g to find next, cmd+shift+g to find previous.
It should at least be an option to use/configure these.

Also: on macOS the standard seems to be that when finding next/previous the text is selected at that point. So if you type, you are replacing the text that is selected. So you could search for “needle”, on the first find the first instances in the document is selected, so you could just start typing “thread”, cmd+g, now the next “needle” in the doc is selected and you can type “whatever”, repeat.

This would something I’d like to see as well, but the hotkey fix is a start.

Current workaround (optional)

None.

Related feature requests (optional)

8 Likes

I’m sorry to bump this, but it’s just a daily annoyance for me…

1 Like

@moderators Duplicate feature request here:
https://forum.obsidian.md/t/hotkey-for-find-next/10203

2 Likes

i just got back here to share my pain to not have the search-next key command configurable :frowning:

1 Like

Yes! Please let me set cmd-g to Find Next, this is a constant frustration!

1 Like

I would like this too, please!

1 Like

I feel the pain also!!

For us Mac users
Cmd F for Find in Page
Cmd G for Find Next and
Cmd Shift G for Find Previous

are our normal muscle memory

Textedit, Sublime Text and VSCode also use these key settings.

Note to add to my pain I use a logitech portable keyboard and F3 is used to switch computers. :frowning:

I would be eternally grateful to our wonderful developers for this key configuration capability

1 Like

Adding my support for this. I’m constantly frustrated when my muscle memory hits cmd+g to go to the next search result and the graph view opens!

1 Like

+1

As a workaround, I’ve disabled the shortcuts in Obsidian and I’m using Keyboard Maestro to type “F3” when I use “⌘G” and “⇧F3” when I use “⌘⇧G”.

3 Likes

Great workaround! I accomplished the same in Alfred with a workflow.

2 Likes

Great idea!
I use my F keys for global shortcuts, so it won’t work for me unfortunately. These are like 20+ year muscle-memory shortcuts, so I can’t reasonably change them…

Seems like something that should just be fixed in the app.

1 Like

If you have Keyboard Maestro, you could use its image detection features to click next and previous instead of using the function keys. It’s hacky, but it’d work in the meantime.

Source

But like you said, it should be possible to remap. I expect they’ll add it eventually.

1 Like

Hah, that is a bit of a hack, but it works fairly well, thanks for the suggestion!

+1 on request for hotkey configuration for find next/previous.

And the related request - Support macOS "find clipboard"

Also, in other Mac apps, find next/previous commands work even when the “find” textbox is hidden - using whatever text is currently on the “find clipboard” is used.

The trick with Alfred workflow does work, but there’s a noticeable lag after pressing Command-G/Shift-G.

will be implemented in 0.13.20. you will need to remove cmd-g from the graph.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.