Obsidian_to_Anki v3.4.0 - a feature-rich plugin that allows you to add notes from Obsidian to Anki

@sunset-rise Nevermind, I think I can guess what problem you were having. Did you run the script over a directory of files, and they had different TARGET DECKS? If so, I just figured out that the script has a bug, where it only takes the TARGET DECK of the last file. This should be fixed for v1.3

Yes the script is running in the same directory,
Cool, thanks!

UPDATE: v2.0 has released! This is a big update, as it adds the ability for users to define custom syntax for their flashcards.
@sunset-rise The bug should be fixed in v2.0
@WhiteNoise I didnā€™t end up implementing your --crude mode directly, but the ā€˜header paragraphā€™ style should suit your needs.
I think Iā€™m going to take a break from development for now, apart from bugfixes. I hope you all find the script useful.

6 Likes

thanks @Pseudonium

1 Like

Ah thanks @WhiteNoise for pinning this! I also saw you linking to this post from a bunch of others, thanks again!

UPDATE: v2.1 just released, which adds support for audio files! Finally, I can get rid of that ā€˜Not Supportedā€™ sectionā€¦

1 Like

UPDATE: v2.2 just released, which gives a GUI to the script! Hopefully itā€™s a little more user-friendly than before.

2 Likes

@Pseudonium: well done! I just downloaded the latest: how do I get it to open the GUI?

2 Likes

@Klaas Just running the script with no args/double-clicking should open the GUI. I did add a new dependency - you should run pip install Gooey if you havenā€™t already.

Hi, man, in Ob ver 0.8.15, Ob supports url hook(obsidian://vault/blabla/link), could you add a new feature that when I want to output anki cards, those anki card will be output with notes links, so I could jump from anki to Ob to review all the note. Use anki to schedule my ob notesā€™ reviewing.

2 Likes

@Aonto Ooh, interesting! Thatā€™s an insider build at the moment, so Iā€™d have to wait until it became public. Iā€™m also not sure how exactly Iā€™d get the hook for the current file without some sort of plugin API.

Edit: Just checked the notes, and you can use an absolute path! That shouldnā€™t be too difficult to implement then.

1 Like

Oh you just need to add a script like get_path() to get markdown filename.

Hook link format just like ā€˜Obsidian://vault/vaultname/filenameā€™, which is like wiki link in ob. I think it is easy to achieve by using python.

Edit: By the way, absolute path can be used too. However, relative path allowed me to use anki and obsidian both on macOS or win. So please implement them both.

So do absolute paths not work on macOS or something?

Edit: Ah, now I get it. The absolute path will be different on different operating systems, so you canā€™t transfer notes as easily. Hmm, Iā€™ll see about implementing relative paths, but I canā€™t guarantee Iā€™ll be able to.

UPDATE: v2.4.0 just released - the GUI is updated, and you can now disable it if you wish to run the script from the command-line. Iā€™ve also made it so that the script attempts to update the config file if there was an error reading it.

1 Like

Is it possible to hide the IDs from the original notes? Like with a HTML comment?

1 Like

Intriguing idea. Iā€™d likely have to rework some of the program, and itā€™d be an option in the config file (not on by default). And it wouldnā€™t play well with mixed identifiers (some commented and some not). But that might be possible, yes.

I have been working on the program quite a bit recently, so Iā€™m not sure when Iā€™d be able to do this - donā€™t want to burn out or anything.

Youā€™ve done a great work with this script. Itā€™s very useful and powerful.
Avoid burning out, relax a bit

2 Likes

@DavidsonTwo Ah thanks so much, I really needed to hear that!

Iā€™ve made a Trello board for planned features now (see original post), so itā€™s easier for me to keep track.

1 Like

UPDATE: v2.5.0 has released.
Lots of new things in this update:

• Updated GUI to make it even clearer
  • Script now has a setup file
  • IDs are now wrapped in HTML comments by default
  • Regex mode can now be configured to be on by default
  • Script now falls back to a command-line interface if Gooey isnā€™t installed

Bugfixes:

• Fixed issue with generating field substitutions dictionary
  • Fixed math formatting being incorrectly interpreted as HTML tags
  • Documentation made slightly clearer in certain places

@DavidsonTwo Added your useful feature!

8 Likes