Obsidian_to_Anki v3.4.0 - a feature-rich plugin that allows you to add notes from Obsidian to Anki

Guys how do you deal with content structure that repeats and the missing context?

Let me explain better. I guess that there are pretty much two approaches when a similar structure is used across multiple notes.

Easiness of writing and reading

For example my approach when writing stuff and studying, I’ve found out that follows a repetitive structure. Something like:

# Title
## Assumption/Context        #flashcard
Random text...
### Problem                  #flashcard
Random text...
#### Solutions               #flashcard
Random text...
##### Solution 1             #flashcard
Random text...
###### Pros vs Cons          #flashcard
Random text...
##### Solution 2             #flashcard
Random text...

This approach is amazing when writing. But there are two problems:

• the first is that if multiple files follows the same structure, then multiple cards will have the same question, and that’s a duplicate
  • the second is that when reviewing you do not have a lot of context about it

Easiness for reviewing

# Title (with a thorough description)
Random text...
## Assumption/Context (with a thorough description)       #flashcard
Random text...
### Problem (with a thorough description)                 #flashcard
Random text...
#### Solutions (with a thorough description)              #flashcard
Random text...
##### Solution 1  (with a thorough description)           #flashcard
Random text...
###### Pros vs Cons (with a thorough description)         #flashcard
Random text...
##### Solution 2 (with a thorough description)            #flashcard
Random text...

This approach works, but it does not help the writing. And a lot of us are here for this reason.

I guess, an optimal solution to the problem, would be to have both of the solution when generating a flashcard. And the idea, is to have the style of first way but providing even context when generating flashcards. Let’s suppose I want to generate the flashcard about ### Solution 2, then the generated flashcard would be something like:

Q: Title > Assumption/Context > Problem > Solutions > Solution 2
A: Random text… (that should be the answer to solution 2)

This pretty much it means that there should be a hierarchy. And of course, this can be applied to lists (ul, ol) too.

I generally use cloze deletetions for such cases. I simply put the contents inside the curly braces. it works well.

Even if there are multiple lines of solution:

# Title
      ## Pros and Cons 
              * {1| Some text}
              * {2| other text}

Something like that…

1 Like

That’s a good idea and I had high hopes when I tried it out, but I still got the error ‘No such file or directory.’ Thanks for the suggestion!

That’s a good idea and I had high hopes when I tried it out, but I still got the error ‘No such file or directory.’

How does the markdown link pasted by Obsidian differ from the one pasted by you by hand?

Hi, is this going to become a Obsidian plugin or will it stay a script that has to be run outside of Obsidian?

1 Like

@juen Hopefully will become an Obsidian plugin soon! I do want to fix the issues on the python script first before porting it to Typescript (which I’ll have to learn) - want to port over as few bugs as possible!

1 Like

Also, I’ve come to a decision about the START END syntax. While I initially wanted to remove it entirely, I realise that it’s necessary for people who want to use custom note types but don’t want to mess around with regex. So, it would be a disservice to remove it.

What I will remove, however, is the “substitutions” feature. It’s caused lots of confusion, clogs up the config file, causes bugs when renaming fields in Anki, and can easily be replicated by just renaming the field/note type in Anki.

In other news, should hopefully have more time to work on the script now!

1 Like

Glad you are back on it :smiley:

Amazing, good to hear! :slight_smile:

1 Like

v2.10 just released! I call it the Winter Cleaning update - you’ll see what I mean when you look at the release notes.

(Hint - the number of GitHub issues relating to the script has dropped drastically…)

1 Like

It’s finally here. Version 3 marks the release of the Obsidian_to_Anki as an Obsidian plugin!

Some new features:
  • Full link support
  • Obsidian image embed and audio embed support
  • Inbuilt plugin settings - no longer have to edit config file directly!
  • Anki icon for running the script on the vault
  • Improved Add File Link
5 Likes

I’ll also take the opportunity to point out that GitHub recently implemented a Discussions feature - might be a good place to discuss feature ideas, or show off how you use the script! See this link.

1 Like

!!! :partying_face:

1 Like

I’ve released v3.1.0 of Obsidian_to_Anki - https://github.com/Pseudonium/Obsidian_to_Anki/releases. It adds support for adding the ‘context’ of a note into a field.

(I’ve also added a ko-fi link to the end of the README, in case anyone’s interested)

1 Like

Released v3.2.0 of Obsidian_to_Anki, adds two new features - the ability to schedule the script, and the ability to convert highlights to clozes for CurlyCloze to process!

Bugfixes:

• Fixed bug with context algorithm
  • Default tag is now read properly from settings
  • Plugin now auto-converts Obsidian highlights to HTML highlights
1 Like

Released v3.3.0 - This update adds support for code syntax highlighting! Also, the regex switch has been removed - regex is now always enabled (you still have to input a custom regex), and you can now have both START END notes and regex notes scanned simultaneously.

2 Likes

Released v3.4.0 - This release adds support for reading obsidian tags as Anki tags, as well as setting a default deck and tag for a folder in your vault.

1 Like

Pseudonium! First of all great work on making this marvelous plugin,
I just have a question;
How do I add flashcards of many decks in one obsidian note and sync them to their respective Anki decks by the TARGET DECK feature; as I tried it but it always synced all the cards into the one TARGET DECK that I declared in the top but seemed to ignore the TARGET DECK I declared afterwards in the same Obsidian note?

1 Like

Decks can only be specified per-file, rather than per-note, at the moment. Perhaps consider splitting the cards into separate files?

I think that’s only for regex. For ANKI blocks, the decks are assigned per note/card right?