Obsidian Tasks Available

Hi,

Any updates on when your awesome plugin will be available via the community plugin inside Obsidian?

@schemar Nevermind my last comment. I did the manual install. This plugin is great!

Thanks for the development to date, and looking forward to updates.

It may be beyond your intended scope, but org-mode has some great functionality for configuring various task states. You can specify what type of state transitions should be logged (with a timestamp) and which transitions should prompt for a note. Itā€™s too much in many cases, but in other cases, you end up with this rich history under your taskā€¦ and embedded notes showing that you tried to work on the task, then moved it to ā€œwaiting for,ā€ then it moved back to active, etc. Itā€™s one of my favorite things about org-mode, but it certainly verges on ā€œtoo fiddly.ā€

https://orgmode.org/manual/Tracking-TODO-state-changes.html#Tracking-TODO-state-changes

1 Like

@schemar This plugin is amazing. Iā€™m experimenting doing all my management in Obsidian now vs. using an external tool. Very nice work!

3 Likes

It would be nice to track all this, indeed. In the current implementation, it would mean adding all this data into the line that is ā€žthe taskā€œ and ending up with potentially extremely long lines. It might still be ok. I am planning on improving how tasks are displayed. And that could also mean that the task lines are really only this long in edit mode. Or maybe even just in the file itself.

1 Like

Loving this! One observation about Installation Step #6:

The default ā€œtoggle checklist statusā€ hotkey allows you to enter some text in a bullet (not yet a task) and then press Command + Enter to automatically insert the ā€œ[ ]ā€ prefix. When remapping Command + Enter to ā€œTasks: Toggle Doneā€, that behavior (make it a task if itā€™s not already a task) is lost.

It would be a nice-to-have to be able to make something a task by typing Command + Enter within the bullet, even after remapping to ā€œTasks: Toggle Doneā€.

1 Like

Very good point. I created Toggle task should convert a bullet point to a task Ā· Issue #131 Ā· schemar/obsidian-tasks Ā· GitHub

2 Likes

Obsidian Tasks is now in the community repo :green_heart:

16 Likes

@schemar thank you so much for creating this. Your new tasks plugin is a beaut! Would you consider an integration with James Lynchā€™s day planner plugin in future?

1 Like

Thank you! What kind of integration would you have in mind? Could you explain a bit your expected workflow with tasks and the day planner? Thanks!

As I understand it, Jamesā€™ plugin enables us to plan our day by setting a 24h start time against our tasks. The plugin can be inserted into any page and/or run from the day planner folder within the vault. Day Planner then renders a timeline according to the tasks it reads on the page itā€™s linked to.

Your Tasks plugin creates an element of flexibility around tasks across the vault by a) collecting them, and b) enabling them to become repeatable. If I understand correctly, it does this by collecting task objects from across the vault and rendering them in a dynamic view (honouring the link between the tasks that show up in the view and the original task object).

If there was a way to make your rendered Task view visible to Day Planner, you would have an incredibly powerful task management tool. One that could elegantly handle recurring calendar events from across the vault (collected and managed by Tasks) and enable users to plan their day via Day Planner.

5 Likes

ā€œIn progressā€ status, maybe.

Hi @schemar, thank you very much for your plugin!

+1 for that request regarding ā€œstart datesā€ from @DavMard1ns. Since I am juggling several dozens of tasks in my task list at any time, filtering only relevant tasks based on a start date would be tremendously helpful (I am using ā€œManage Your Nowā€ (MYN) methodology from Michael Linenberger, which relies heavily on filtering). I am right now abusing due-dates in Obsidian Tasks as start dates, but this leaves me without a solution when I really require due dates :wink:

Thank you! And I fully agree. Itā€™s hidden inside this discussion if I understand you correctly: Add scheduling to tasks Ā· Discussion #67 Ā· schemar/obsidian-tasks Ā· GitHub

Please chime in and/or vote on it, if you have a GitHub account :blush:

2 Likes

@schemar I like this idea, as well, and think it would be very useful to have the schedule task based on when they were completed. One issue might occur, if the task is checked off the day after, even though it was completed the day before, but Iā€™m not sure.

I have included my workout schedule tasks M, W, F, lift weights, in this instance I would not want the task day to change. It needs to always be M, W, F. Iā€™m not sure if it is possible to have both, but it would be amazing.

It should be possible to have both.

2 Likes

Hi @schemar

Hope you are well

I see that tasks/subtag works

Would it be possible to introduce something into your syntax that can reference the sub-tag?

Thanks a lot

I am not quite sure what you mean, sorry. Can you please elaborate?

Hi @schemar

So if I have something like

- [ ] #task/ataskcategory This is something I need to do

Your plugin picks this up perfectly

But if I just want to list tasks with the ataskcategory subtag there is no way to current do it

So it would be great to be able to do something like the following

```tasks
no due date
subtag ataskcategory
```

I hope this makes more sense? :slight_smile:

Thanks

you need to query by description instead of subtag. I think the solution posted here will work:

1 Like