Obsidian Talks Voting Post - Which talks do you want to hear?

Obsidian Talks Voting :memo:

In this post, you can vote on which Obsidian Community Talks you would like to hear next. Click the link to learn more about the idea/origin of Community Talks, or ask any question you have :slight_smile:
Each proposed topic will get its own poll where you can give it an upvote if you’d like to hear that talk. Once a talk is planned to happen at some point in the future, it will get it’s own dedicated forum post for more in-depth discussion and organisation.

You can watch past talks on the Obsidian Community Talks YouTube channel.

Get Involved :raised_hand:

If you are interested in giving or requesting a talk, we have created two Google forms:

Please feel free to complete either of the forms if you wish to get involved! The forms don’t collect email addresses, so only the information you decide to share will be captured.

Types of Events

The main two types we envisioned for events are talks and workshops.

1. Talks are of the flavour “push-one-to-all” in which a single person presents a certain topic.
  2. Workshops are rather “discuss-coordinate-brainstorm” in which like-minded people tackle a (potentially vague) question or problem together.

Of course an event can be of any other shape! In any case, each offer or request should be accompanied with one or two sentences describing its intention.

Types of Polls

There are two types of polls you can vote on: talks that someone has already offered to give (Offered), and talks that have been requested by others (Requested).

For Requested Talks, anyone can volunteer to speak on that topic. If multiple people want to speak on the same topic, they can organise amongst themselves how that will work.

Test Poll

If you haven’t used a forum poll before, here’s a test poll you can try:

Test Poll
  • Click here to vote

0 voters

18 Likes

Offered

Importing long-form notes into Obsidian
  • I want to hear this talk!
0 voters

Type: Collaborative Hackathon
Expected Duration (min): 90
Presenter: @Dextyrio
Technical Requirements: Ideally someone would volunteer their Zoom Pro account for use, but this is not necessary.

Longer Description by presenter:

The “rock” stuck in here is a common situation for non-data-mining-scientists who migrated their old-skool PKB (personal knowledge base) to Obsidian: Taking one massive plaintext note of ideas that was imported from elsewhere, and parsing it with Obsidian as a No(or Low)-Code text analytics tool to automate the derivation of contextual meanings.

Agenda:

Part I:

Auto-Headering an Obsidian note’s sections to tokenise them for refactoring

Part II:

Auto-Tagging a header-tokenised Obsidian note’s contents… to pre-process for later built-in graphing or other visualisation with Mindmap/Neo4j.

Attempt to do everything from within Obsidian’s built-in console & plugins alone, else minimal outside desktop toolkits if need be, without resorting to hosted/SAAS web services.

Completed - Introduction to Dataview

Voting poll & Recordings

You can find the recorded sessions and slides at the following links:

Type: Talk/Presentation
Expected Duration (min): 60
Presenter: @SkepticMystic

I will give an beginner introduction to using Dataview in your notes. This will include how to add YAML metadata to your notes in a way that Dataview can work with.

7 Likes

Scheduled

This talk will happen on 2021-06-13T16:00:00Z
You can find the post for the talk here, where you can ask any questions or add any comments :slightly_smiling_face:

Using Pandoc to keep your workflow inside Obsidian
0 voters

Presenter: @SkepticMystic
Technical Requirements: Ideally users would have Pandoc installed already, but this isn’t the simplest task. I could put up a tutorial on doing this before the talk so that the audience can have that done before starting. No experience with using Pandoc is necessary.

I will give a basic introduction to using Pandoc. This will include converting from Markdown .md notes to various other formats, including Word (.docx), PDF, Powerpoint (.pptx), and Revealjs slideshows.
I will also show how Pandoc can be used with a reference manager to cite sources in your Markdown notes, and have Pandoc build a reference list for you in your chosen reference style. Templates will also be discussed so that you can format your notes as desired.
Lastly, I show an integration with the Snippets plugin, so that you don’t even have to leave Obsidian to export your notes!

3 Likes

Completed - Deep Learning on Networks

Voting Poll & Details [poll type=regular results=always public=true chartType=bar] # Deep Learning on Networks -- Introduction and Use Cases * I want to hear this talk! [/poll]

Expected Duration (min): 30
Presenter: @xnhp
Technical Requirements: No

In this presentation, I plan to introduce the audience to the basic (and mind-blowing) concepts and capabilities of network analysis, deep learning and what happens on the intersection of both fields. We will derive Neural Networks and Graph Neural Networks from first principles, provide intuition and some examples where these techniques have already been used in research, particularly on Drug Discovery and Drug Repurposing.

1 Like

Offered

Codeless Data Science with KNIME Analytics Platform
0 voters

Type: Collaborative Hackathon
Expected Duration (min): 40
Technical Requirements: Yes, Participants should have downloaded and installed the software.

KNIME AP is a “software to create and productionize data science using one easy and intuitive environment”. It enables data science practitioners to solve advanced preprocessing, knowledge processing and visualisation tasks with little to no programming knowledge, allowing to focus on the actual task at hand. During this workshop, I will give a very brief introduction into the basics and then we will see together how we can solve our concrete problems.

Offered

Applying NLP methods to Obsidian Vaults (Named Entity Recognition, Topic Extraction, etc)

0 voters

Type: Collaborative/Hackathon
Expected Duration (min): 45
Technical Requirements: Yes, Spec required tools beforehand (maybe SpaCy?)

None given, but the presenter can still add one :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Offered

The Second Brain Implant: Exploring the Interface Between Artificial and Human Intelligence
0 voters

Presenter: @paubric
Technical Requirements: A brief look through past projects from Psionica and MML is recommended (Mentioned below).

Just like there are sound frequencies we cannot hear and wavelengths of light we cannot see, there might very well be thoughts we cannot think. However, just like there are advanced sensors that can help us detect sound and light beyond our bodily senses, there are transformative tools that can help us think beyond what was previously thinkable.
We can engineer “spacecraft” for venturing into the depths of conceptual space, exploring what lies beyond the pale blue dot of native human cognition. AI is especially well-positioned to fuel this expansion through its unique ability of manipulating abstract representations.

This talk aims to:

1. provide an overview of recent trends in cognitive augmentation,
  2. highlight the potential of the second brain architecture as a research platform, and
  3. offer a glimpse into the future development of collaborative, embodied, and enactive tools for thought.

The intended audience for this talk consists of:

1. people curious about ways of augmenting their knowledge work today,
  2. makers interested in building the tools for thought of tomorrow, and
  3. academics interested in the more abstract dimension of cognitive augmentation.

This talk is based on the recent work of Psionica, an open collective on a mission to augment thought for all, although it will also comment on work done by giants from MIT Media Lab.

Completed - Zotero 101

Voting Poll & Details This will be the **2nd** talk! It will take place on [date=2021-04-24 time=16:00:00 timezone="Africa/Johannesburg"] and will be moderated by @nickmilo. Please feel free to ask any question you might have, or share any input on this talk [dedicated forum post](https://forum.obsidian.md/t/zotero-101-obsidian-community-talks/16248).
Zotero 101
0 voters

Expected Duration (min): 50
Presenter: @argentum
Technical Requirements: Yes, Zotero and the three plugins of the talk should be installed beforehand.

I can give a talk about Zotero, why you might need a reference manager, and how to set up the holy trinity of plugins: BetterBibtex, Zotfile and Mdnotes.

6 Likes

PLEASE @argentum don’t forget to record this talk! I’m fascinated by the diverse query-language universe of today after the SQL of yesteryears

2 Likes

Offered

Obsidian 101
0 voters

Presenter: @LearningRabbitHole
Technical Requirements: None

This is for anyone who is new to Obsidian. We will discuss backlinking, settings, search, embedding and many other features. It is a general walkthrough of the program along with some ideas about how to store, connect, and find notes.
2 Likes

Completed - Notetaking for University Students

Voting Poll & Details [poll type=regular results=always public=true chartType=bar] # Notetaking for university students - Discussing the best practices for studying in Obsidian * I want to hear this talk! [/poll]

Type: Short Presentation with a focus on Q&A
Expected Duration (min): 20-30
Presenter: @Wace#0765

I would love to share my current process of notetaking in obsidian as a university student. Using Obsidian has completely changed the way I take notes and study, it’s the program where I spend most of my days and the core of my entire learning process. I will probably also briefly touch on things outside of Obsidian, like my organization and general study process, in order to give better context to the way I work in Obsidian.

The main goal would be for my presentation to be the introduction to a collaborative analysis where we dicuss what are the best practices to use Obsidian as a tool for learning and studying.

2 Likes

Offered

Knowledge Organization, Cataloging and Classification in Obsidian
0 voters

Type: Group Discussion
Presenter: @brimwats

This is a tentative proposal to see if anyone is interested in this topic or would like to collaborate on making it a reality! Please feel free to contact me on the forum or Discord if you’d like to participate.

3 Likes

Requested

Project Management in Obsidian
  • I can give this talk!
  • I can moderate this talk!
  • I am interested in this event!

0 voters

Expected Duration (min): open
Presenter: None yet, feel free to post in this thread if you would be interesting in presenting something about this topic or moderating a discussion/workshop/hands-on
Technical Requirements: open

Longer Description by initial requester: Preferably in fiction writing. Fiction marketing is also of interest.

4 Likes

Requested

Brainstorm: Journal / Diary / Retro / Quantified Self
  • I can give this talk!

0 voters

Type: Hackathon / Workshop
Expected Duration (min): 45
Moderator: @xnhp
Technical Requirements: none

Longer Description by initial requester: Journalling can be done for different purposes. I am interested in hearing about why you keep a journal and how you use Obsidian for it. Moreover, I am interested in particular strategies or prompts to make establishing a journalling habit easier and the journalling itself more effective.

1 Like

Requested

Future of Note Taking as in terms of tools and also the concept and idea in general
  • I can give this talk!

0 voters

Presenter: Either one of

• NickMilo from LinkingYourThinking (@nickmilo)
  • ChrisDancy

Longer Description by initial requester: none given

Requested

Story/visual art development using Obsidian with other tools
  • I can give this talk!

0 voters

Presenter: open

Requested

Obsidian for Consulting
  • I can give this talk!

0 voters

Presenter: open

Requested & Offered

alternate title given by @Lithou: “Obsidian CSS 101 - Getting Started” (polls cannot be edited).

The Many CSS tricks of Lithou
  • I can give this talk!

0 voters

Expected Duration (min): 60 mins (20 min presentation w/ 40 min Q&A)
Presenter: @Lithou
Technical Requirements: Will be held via Discord. If you want to follow along, the hands-on will require computer with Obsidian installed and VSCode or other editor of choice.

Longer Description: This will cover the basics of getting started with CSS in Obsidian including some of the basic concepts of how CSS works and interacts with Obsidian.

1 Like

I don’t know who requested this one, but did you (or anyone else) have specifics in mind? Did you want specific examples covered? More of a Q&A type workshop? I’m down for whatever is most helpful to others.

Requested

Increasing vocabulary and developing concise communication with Obsidian
  • I can give/moderate this talk/workshop!

0 voters

Type: Either a talk or a Colab/Workshop
Expected Duration: open
Presenter/Moderator: open

Description: none given

Request initiated by @Lithou.

Requested

Semantic Obsidian – What is it? What’s its relation to the Juggl plugin? How can we use it?
  • I can give a talk about this or moderate!

0 voters

Type: Talk
Expected Duration: open
Presenter/Moderator: @Emile

Description: none given

No worries. I’ll put together something then. If anyone who is interested has specific requests by all means let me know.

I can also do two talks. One that is a 101 type class for more beginners/learners and one that is targeting more advanced uses/tricks.

6 Likes