Obsidian Talks Voting Post - Which talks do you want to hear?

Offered

Applying NLP methods to Obsidian Vaults (Named Entity Recognition, Topic Extraction, etc)
  • I want to hear this talk!

0 voters

Type: Collaborative/Hackathon
Expected Duration (min): 45
Presenter: @xnhp
Technical Requirements: Yes, Spec required tools beforehand (maybe SpaCy?)

Longer Description by presenter:

None given, but the presenter can still add one :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Offered

The Second Brain Implant: Exploring the Interface Between Artificial and Human Intelligence
0 voters

Type: Talk/Presentation
Expected Duration (min): 60
Presenter: @paubric
Technical Requirements: A brief look through past projects from Psionica and MML is recommended (Mentioned below).

Just like there are sound frequencies we cannot hear and wavelengths of light we cannot see, there might very well be thoughts we cannot think. However, just like there are advanced sensors that can help us detect sound and light beyond our bodily senses, there are transformative tools that can help us think beyond what was previously thinkable.
We can engineer “spacecraft” for venturing into the depths of conceptual space, exploring what lies beyond the pale blue dot of native human cognition. AI is especially well-positioned to fuel this expansion through its unique ability of manipulating abstract representations.

This talk aims to:

1. provide an overview of recent trends in cognitive augmentation,
  2. highlight the potential of the second brain architecture as a research platform, and
  3. offer a glimpse into the future development of collaborative, embodied, and enactive tools for thought.

The intended audience for this talk consists of:

1. people curious about ways of augmenting their knowledge work today,
  2. makers interested in building the tools for thought of tomorrow, and
  3. academics interested in the more abstract dimension of cognitive augmentation.

This talk is based on the recent work of Psionica, an open collective on a mission to augment thought for all, although it will also comment on work done by giants from MIT Media Lab.

Completed - Zotero 101

Voting Poll & Details This will be the **2nd** talk! It will take place on [date=2021-04-24 time=16:00:00 timezone="Africa/Johannesburg"] and will be moderated by @nickmilo. Please feel free to ask any question you might have, or share any input on this talk [dedicated forum post](https://forum.obsidian.md/t/zotero-101-obsidian-community-talks/16248).
Zotero 101
0 voters

Expected Duration (min): 50
Presenter: @argentum
Technical Requirements: Yes, Zotero and the three plugins of the talk should be installed beforehand.

I can give a talk about Zotero, why you might need a reference manager, and how to set up the holy trinity of plugins: BetterBibtex, Zotfile and Mdnotes.

6 Likes

PLEASE @argentum don’t forget to record this talk! I’m fascinated by the diverse query-language universe of today after the SQL of yesteryears

2 Likes

Offered

Obsidian 101
0 voters

Presenter: @LearningRabbitHole
Technical Requirements: None

This is for anyone who is new to Obsidian. We will discuss backlinking, settings, search, embedding and many other features. It is a general walkthrough of the program along with some ideas about how to store, connect, and find notes.
2 Likes

Completed - Notetaking for University Students

Voting Poll & Details [poll type=regular results=always public=true chartType=bar] # Notetaking for university students - Discussing the best practices for studying in Obsidian * I want to hear this talk! [/poll]

Type: Short Presentation with a focus on Q&A
Expected Duration (min): 20-30
Presenter: @Wace#0765

I would love to share my current process of notetaking in obsidian as a university student. Using Obsidian has completely changed the way I take notes and study, it’s the program where I spend most of my days and the core of my entire learning process. I will probably also briefly touch on things outside of Obsidian, like my organization and general study process, in order to give better context to the way I work in Obsidian.

The main goal would be for my presentation to be the introduction to a collaborative analysis where we dicuss what are the best practices to use Obsidian as a tool for learning and studying.

2 Likes

Offered

Knowledge Organization, Cataloging and Classification in Obsidian
0 voters

Type: Group Discussion
Presenter: @brimwats

This is a tentative proposal to see if anyone is interested in this topic or would like to collaborate on making it a reality! Please feel free to contact me on the forum or Discord if you’d like to participate.

3 Likes

Requested

Project Management in Obsidian
  • I can give this talk!
  • I can moderate this talk!
  • I am interested in this event!

0 voters

Expected Duration (min): open
Presenter: None yet, feel free to post in this thread if you would be interesting in presenting something about this topic or moderating a discussion/workshop/hands-on
Technical Requirements: open

Longer Description by initial requester: Preferably in fiction writing. Fiction marketing is also of interest.

4 Likes

Requested

Brainstorm: Journal / Diary / Retro / Quantified Self
  • I can give this talk!

0 voters

Type: Hackathon / Workshop
Expected Duration (min): 45
Moderator: @xnhp
Technical Requirements: none

Longer Description by initial requester: Journalling can be done for different purposes. I am interested in hearing about why you keep a journal and how you use Obsidian for it. Moreover, I am interested in particular strategies or prompts to make establishing a journalling habit easier and the journalling itself more effective.

1 Like

Requested

Future of Note Taking as in terms of tools and also the concept and idea in general
  • I can give this talk!

0 voters

Presenter: Either one of

• NickMilo from LinkingYourThinking (@nickmilo)
  • ChrisDancy

Longer Description by initial requester: none given

Requested

Story/visual art development using Obsidian with other tools
  • I can give this talk!

0 voters

Presenter: open

Requested

Obsidian for Consulting
  • I can give this talk!

0 voters

Requested & Offered

alternate title given by @Lithou: “Obsidian CSS 101 - Getting Started” (polls cannot be edited).

The Many CSS tricks of Lithou
  • I can give this talk!

0 voters

Expected Duration (min): 60 mins (20 min presentation w/ 40 min Q&A)
Presenter: @Lithou
Technical Requirements: Will be held via Discord. If you want to follow along, the hands-on will require computer with Obsidian installed and VSCode or other editor of choice.

Longer Description: This will cover the basics of getting started with CSS in Obsidian including some of the basic concepts of how CSS works and interacts with Obsidian.

1 Like

I don’t know who requested this one, but did you (or anyone else) have specifics in mind? Did you want specific examples covered? More of a Q&A type workshop? I’m down for whatever is most helpful to others.

Requested

Increasing vocabulary and developing concise communication with Obsidian
  • I can give/moderate this talk/workshop!

0 voters

Type: Either a talk or a Colab/Workshop
Expected Duration: open
Presenter/Moderator: open

Description: none given

Request initiated by @Lithou.

Requested

Semantic Obsidian – What is it? What’s its relation to the Juggl plugin? How can we use it?
  • I can give a talk about this or moderate!

0 voters

Type: Talk
Expected Duration: open
Presenter/Moderator: @Emile

Description: none given

No worries. I’ll put together something then. If anyone who is interested has specific requests by all means let me know.

I can also do two talks. One that is a 101 type class for more beginners/learners and one that is targeting more advanced uses/tricks.

6 Likes

I have created a thread to collect requests and questions for the Zotero 101 talk:

I also set up a when2meet link to find a timeslot:

Edit: To try and keep this thread on-topic, please post your requests directly in the Zotero 101 thread.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Zotero 101 - Obsidian Community talks

Requested

Possible Frictions in the Stages of Knowledge Management and (How to Look for) Ways to Solve/Lessen It
  • I can give this talk!

0 voters

Type: Collaborative hackathon / Hands-On / Workshop / Discussion

Technical Requirements: open

Request initiated by King/_king.

Offered

Reveal.js: Make beautiful, interactive slideshows using Markdown
0 voters

Type: Talk / Presentation
Expected Duration (min): 60 minutes
Presenter: @SkepticMystic

Technical Requirements: This talk will use pandoc to convert between the two formats. I am going to do a talk on that first so that this knowledge doesn’t have to be covered twice.

Description

I will show how you can use the reveal.js framework to make slideshows out of markdown. Reveal can be used to make auto-animated, interactive, custom-themed slideshow presentations. The final result is an HTML output that can simply be sent to anyone to open in their browser. You can see the power of Reveal here: https://revealjs.com

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Introduction to Dataview @SkepticMystic - Community Talk

Offered

Leveraging Metadata and Bending Markdown
0 voters

Type: Collaborative hackathon Hands-On / Workshop / Discussion
Expected Duration (min): 60 - 90
Presenter: @tallguyjenks
Technical Requirements: Yes, Obsidian, a method of emoji insertion (Alfred on mac, or default mac utility, win+. on windows, some solution on linux)

Aim for a discussion around how to use things like symbols, temporal components, emoji’s, tags, links and more with intention to lay foundational architecture for a knowledge base to grow and scale without hindering search, rediscovery, and organization. And some ways we can bend markdown to service these needs.

2 Likes