Obsidian Sync - Sync hidden files and folders as well (start with a dot)

+1

Useful for working with my AI agents.

And that’s a “Yes please” from me.

Please add .dotfiles support to Sync! Currently having to do an ugly workaround where the .dotfiles folders are in Git, and the rest of the repo uses Sync. Keeping .dotiles in a Vault is a requirement for using any AI tools. This should be a core feature of the Sync service. Otherwise very happy with Sync.

Obsidian Sync is great but we need this to work with agents.

Bumping this feature request up.

Obsidian is a wonderful use-case for AI Agents, and Andrej Karpathy’s popular LLM Wiki spec explicitly uses Obsidian, but since the Sync service does not handle any dot-prefixed folders/files, (e.g. .claude, .hermes), which are absolutely critical for using the same project with AI across multiple devices, I will likely need to cancel my Sync Plus subscription and switch to another sync provider that doesn’t have that limitation to keep things streamlined, which I admittedly do not want to do. The Sync service has performed phenomenally for me in basically every way over the past 3 years, except for this one unnecessary hole which makes it a complete pain to use AI alongside synced vaults.

I’m grateful for all the work y’all have done with maintaining this product and Sync service, and I hope y’all are able to bump up the priority of this feature request. This feature is only gonna get more and more critical as AI gets more ubiquitous, and you will lose Sync customers unnecessarily if you aren’t able to sync dot-prefixed folders/files.

+1 from me. I run Claude agents inside my vault and ended up keeping all their memory and coordination in regular .md notes partly because dot-folders don’t sync. It works, but native support would make agent setups much less fragile across devices.

+1 for this request.

I purchased Obsidian Sync without realizing that dot-prefixed folders are excluded from syncing. Overall, I am very happy with Sync. In fact, it is what encouraged me to start using Obsidian regularly on mobile, and the core experience has been excellent.

However, I rely heavily on AI-assisted workflows, and important project-level instructions, skills, and configurations are stored in folders such as .codex and .agents. Discovering that these folders cannot be synced—not even through an opt-in allowlist—was genuinely disappointing. It means that my vault is not truly consistent across devices, and it breaks the continuity I expected Obsidian Sync to provide.

I understand why folders such as .git might be excluded by default. However, I would greatly appreciate an advanced option to explicitly include selected hidden folders. Even a per-folder allowlist, disabled by default, would solve this safely.

I still like Obsidian Sync and intend to keep using it. I hope this limitation can be reconsidered, especially now that AI-assisted workflows increasingly depend on dot-prefixed folders.

I do not understand how this is not implemented yet. I became a paying customer yesterday, only to realize that because of that limitation all of my AI setup does not work. I have no other choice but to default back to self hosted options. Please take my money!