Obsidian slow to launch and open new vaults

Steps to reproduce

Open obsidian, or click the “open another vault” button when Obsidian is already running

Expected result

Obsidian opens or brings up the screen to open a new vault relatively quickly (within a few seconds)

Actual result

Obsidian opens or brings up the screen to open a new vault noticeably slowly (after a 20 to 30 second delay)

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.1.16
Installer version: v1.1.16
Operating system: Windows 10 Home 10.0.22621
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

Until a few days ago, Obsidian was very fast to start up and open new vaults. I completely uninstalled and reinstalled, and get the same result whether or not plugins and themes are enabled or disabled.

I have noticed in Task Manager that when I attempt to open Obsidian it spawns 4 “Obsidian” background processes, one after another, with several seconds in between, starting when I first hit enter or click to open the app. The these processes use 0% CPU until all 4 have been created, then the app opens. I don’t know if this is normal behavior or if something is forcing Obsidian to try to open itself 4 times before it works.

check/disable your antivirus.

1 Like

That solved it, thanks. The antivirus had flagged it without telling me.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.