Released May 23, 2023
In this update, we are introducing a brand new PDF viewer. We’ve also made some tweaks to how tabs and tab groups work which should simplify the experience for new users.
- New PDF viewer — We’ve completely overhauled the PDF viewer in Obsidian to feel more integrated within the app.
- Misc. improvements — We’ve also made improvements to bookmarks, overhauled all the tree components in the app, and embed support for YouTube and Twitter links within your markdown files.
New PDF viewer
- YouTube and Twitter links can now be embedded within your notes using the markdown image embed syntax (i.e.
- We’ve redesigned all the tree components (e.g. File Explorer, Outline view) to make the visual hierarchy more clear. If you are using a custom theme, make sure to update it (Settings → Appearance → Check for updates) in case it was impacted at all.
- Bookmarks: Added new “Bookmark this block” menu item when right-clicking on a block ID.
- Quick switcher: Bookmarks no longer rank higher in the search results.
- Bookmarks: Bookmark view will now show an error state if the bookmarks.json file is malformed or corrupted.
- Spellcheck is now enabled by default in new vaults.
- Inline titles now have spellcheck enabled.
- When Auto convert HTML is enabled, HTML tables will now be converted to markdown tables on paste.
- Improved Live Preview rendering performance when moving the cursor.
- New hotkeys for interacting with the file explorer:
F2to start renaming the focused file.
Spaceto open the focused file.
Enterto start renaming the focused file (to follow the OS convention).
Cmd + ArrowDownto open the focused file.
- Fixed slower performance of Live Preview when using pop-out windows on a secondary monitor.
- Clicking on external links inside
<iframe>now properly open them in the default browser.
- Fixed opening files from File Explorer not giving focus to the new tab if “Always focus new tab” is turned off.
- Fixed issue with multiple cursors having the incorrect selection color.
- Frontmatter will now still be recognized if there are spaces after the ending
- Fixed file saving interrupted when closing or quitting. Now Obsidian will properly wait for the file to be saved before closing.
- Long tables that exceed the view width will now show a scrollbar.
- Updated PIXI.js to v7.2.4.
- Updated Turndown to 7.1.2.
- Updated Mathjax to v3.2.2.