Obsidian randomly freezes the entire system

Steps to reproduce

Use Obsidian

Expected result

Everything works as it should

Actual result

Sometimes the entire system freezes and the only solution is to hard reboot the computer. This started happening in v1.0.0. And it doesn’t happen when using any other apps.

Environment

• Operating system: Fedora Workstation 36
  • Debug info:
SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v1.0.0
	Installer version: v1.0.0
	Operating system: #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Oct 13 18:58:38 UTC 2022 5.19.15-201.fc36.x86_64
	Login status: not logged in
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: light
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 1
	Restricted mode: off
	Plugins installed: 4
	Plugins enabled: 3
		1: Advanced Tables v0.17.3
		2: Excalidraw v1.7.24
		3: Latex Suite v1.5.2

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	Custom theme and snippets: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme and disabling your snippets. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.
	Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.
1 Like

If the entire system freezes, you likely have a problem with you system.

What does Event Viewer say?

How do I open the event viewer?

It may be, but it is definitely related to an issue with Obsidian. This never happens when using any other app, neither did it happen before v1.0.0

I am having this same issue, also on Fedora (Silverblue 37, GNOME/Wayland) - however, it doesn’t catastrophically crash the entire system, it just locks it up for maybe thirty seconds before unfreezing.

Notably, when it unfreezes, the graph views turn completely blank (I have both the global and local views in my sidebar), which suggests that’s what snapped. The developer console shows a few warnings about “WebGL context lost” as well.

Debug info:

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v1.0.3
	Installer version: v1.0.0
	Operating system: #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Oct 13 19:00:55 UTC 2022 5.19.15-301.fc37.x86_64
	Login status: not logged in
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: dark
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 3
	Restricted mode: off
	Plugins installed: 6
	Plugins enabled: 5
		1: Obsidian Charts v3.6.3
		2: Tag Wrangler v0.5.4
		3: Dataview v0.5.47
		4: Icon Folder v1.3.5
		5: Templater v1.14.3
1 Like

I have the same issue, and it is with my ipad and samsung tablets.
Not the system per se, but obsidian itself crashes.
It could be related to the excalidraw plugin not working well with the new obsidian, but that is essential for my workflow

I have the same issue on arch linux with dwm, and only when running obsidian. My entire system freezes, for like dozens of seconds (but my audio keep working while the system is frozen)

Helped disabling GPU either in Settings/About or (if freezes prevents from doing that) launching app with --disable-gpu

Same issue :slight_smile:

CPU: 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H (20) @ 4.600GHz
GPU: Intel Alder Lake-P
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Mobile / Max-Q

The issue happens both with the integrated gpu (i.e. the dgpu is completely turned off) and the dgpu (my laptop has a mux switch which shuts down the iGPU and only uses the dGPU)
Haven’t checked if --disable-gpu works, but that’s not a viable option for me because the resulting interface would look bad.

I can confirm similar behavior on Ubuntu 22.04. When using Obsidian, the app will occasionally freeze and become unresponsive to user input for about thirty seconds. During this time the rest of the OS is responsive and behaves normally. Then Obsidian becomes usable again.

I haven’t found any pattern yet to when it happens or why. I’ll post more if I find anything useful.

It turns out this is not an issue with Obsidian, but rather an issue with GPU drivers on Intel Alder Lake.

Using options i915 enable_psr=0 as mentioned on that issue worked for me as a workaround, and Obsidian stopped freezing. Turns out the option didn’t help, and I actually just disabled hardware acceleration and forgot about that. It’s still an issue with the drivers though, not with Obsidian.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.