Obsidian Publish: Can I share .obsidian/publish.json?

Things I have tried

I tried to search for siteId in the forums (found nothing), and read through the Obisdian Publish help file but did not find an answer to this question. This might be a quite rare situation.

What I’m trying to do

I have a vault that I published in Obsidian Publish (Index - Obsidian Publish). I use Git to store it’s version history and I also host the vault in GitHub. The GitHub repository will be public.

To keep backups of all important files in the vault - including settings - I’d like to include .obsidian/publish.json file in Git - and GitHub. I opened the file to see what it contains:

{
  "siteId": "XXX",
  "host": "XXX"
}

XXX parts are sensored. The host did not seem very secret, but I’m not sure about the siteId part. Is there any security issues involved if I share this file in github? For example, can someone use the siteId to modify my Publish site?

Thank you for your support!

Nothing secret there, you can share it.

If you’re sharing with someone else, then that person should use the same account for Publish to work properly. But it’s not necessary, as when you log in and select a site, this info will be populated for you.

I hope that helps!

1 Like

Thanks! This helps. :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.