Obsidian October 2022 daily progress and learnings

Yeah, there are so many small things I am learning as I go.
I am trying to share what I can but there will be errors some face that I wont, and things I do that work but I wont know why.

I am a graduate student in theoretical physics, a subject where you wouldn’t expect a large demand for memorisation. To some extent, for most physics students, as long as you learn the equations, you are fine. However, research at the graduate level is different from learning at school. The knowledge one needs to master is no longer systematic; what to learn is part of the question. I started using Obsidian when it was in Beta, and it completely changed my approach to learning; in fact, I believe that it shaped my research style in a certain way. As my vault grew, I started to make connections between various concepts I thought were completely independent. I started to find that a single published paper can have distinct implications for more than one area of research.

Recently, in order to have more feedback and to share with others, I started to use Obsidian Publish, and have by now uploaded around ten percent of the notes in my vault. Since notes meant for myself might look less organised compared to notes I hope to publish, it takes time for me to upgrade my notes before publishing them. My project is then to upgrade all my notes and put them on my website: Obsidiandian.

1 Like

Thank you for organizing this event! Came just at the right time—when I’m starting to feel like my note-taking workflow is starting to get good at generating insight.

Happy to be sharing it with the community.

Wanted to share my progress on my plugin submission - Achievements!

I wanted to have a way to expose features of Obsidian in a fun way. I think achievements in video games are a great way to guide the user to try new things, so I decided to create a plugin to track achievements of used features of Obsidian to help users explore new ways of taking notes that will benefit them in their journey.

Currently only tracking very basic features like creating/deleting notes and creating internal links, but hoping to expand this to lots of features like callouts, commands, tags, etc.

9 Likes

Hello everyone i believe it’s time to post the information about my project so here it goes.

Project for o_o 2022

Project Acronym: SSOV
Project Name: Student Starter Obsidian Vault
Project Start Date: 2022-09-10
Project Last Update: 2022-10-19

About the Project

• As the name says, this project is a template vault for students of any kind and any field.
  • The project is designed to serve as a starting point to configure and customize a vault to the user needs. Keep in mind this is a template not a perfect setup for every use case.
  • Like most of my Obsidian Templates, the project will not use advanced configuration’s in any of the Plugins used so it’s easier for new users to start using Obsidian.

Project Progress

1. Folder structure → Completed
  2. Vault intended rules → Completed
  3. Vault explanation → Need Rework, information about the plugins used is missing
  4. Vault Templates → Under Rework
  5. Vault Theme →
  6. Vault examples →

Challenges

Most of the changes have been related to the amount of free time i have to work on this project.

• Folder Structure: Having all the information inside a single folder while keeping it organized and easy to understand
  • Vault rules and vault explanation: Using a simple enough language that any person can understand and at the same time not using a language so simple that people may is if i think they are stupid
  • Vault Theme: Still have no clue… dark or light theme? custom of default theme?

Current focus

1. Finishing the vault explanation and templates are the priority, however it should be completed by 2022-10-20
  2. Create all the examples
2 Likes

Hi Friends,

I have been working on a plugin for some time, mostly as an experiment leading up to the October contest timeframe. I have made good progress and think it will be useful to note-takers, and I have decided to release it to the public after testing and registration with the contents.

The plugin is called Strange New Worlds and is designed to provide hints to how our notes are interconnected and make it easier to explore those connections.

I am looking to start testing with a larger group of testers (testing = quality and stability).

If you are interested, it can be installed easily with BRAT from the Github repo:

Please star the project on GitHub if you like the idea. This will help me gauge the interesting this concept.

I look forward to your feedback.

16 Likes

Hi everyone, I am working on a vault for students, thinking about the registration of Class, exams, homework with a workflow for note-taking. The folder structure is based on P.A.R.A.

Previously I created a note system based on Zettelkasten and the workflow of Ruben Loan. Sistema de Notas - Zettelkasten (Obsidian Template)

Student Vault

• Modules implemented.

• Class Management.
    • Exams Management.
    • Task management.
    • Contacts management.
    • Birthdays management
  • Plugins that are being used.

• Buttons
    • Dataview
    • Banner
    • Toolbar Editing
    • Annotator
    • Calendar
    • Database Plugin
    • Obsidian Columns
    • Templater
  • Functions implemented.

• Custom CSS
    • Clean embeded notes
    • Custom Tags.
    • Pending Tasks in Dashboard
    • Birthdays date in Dashboard
    • Exams controls in Dashboard.

Work for this weekend

• Creation of Templates for Course, Homework, and Exam
  • Automated workflow from creation Courses, Homework Exams, and Contacts.
  • Add date limit to pending tasks.
  • Add Custom Folder Sort, and remove Jhonny Decimal

Folder Structure

Dashboard

4 Likes

Hello! I’m new to programming and would like to join O_O by submitting my first plugin I’ve made. I’d be happy if you test it and give me a feedback.
It’s a plugin that displays outlines of multiple daily notes at once to make it easier to find what you wrote. You can install it using Obsidian BRAT plugin. Here’s the URL:

5 Likes

Update on “Strange New Worlds” plugin.

Getting great feedback for cosmetic improvement along with a few bug reports. Plugin gets more stable.

Thank you everyone for your support.

I also did a promo video:

More info:

3 Likes

Today pushed out an update 0.0.31 Mobile enhancements.

Trying to make SNW gestures work more consistently and natural on mobile devices.

1 Like

Project for o_o 2022

Project Acronym: SSOV
Project Name: Student Starter Obsidian Vault
Project Start Date: 2022-09-10
Project Last Update: 2022-10-19

About the Project

• As the name says, this project is a template vault for students of any kind and any field.
  • The project is designed to serve as a starting point to configure and customize a vault to the user needs. Keep in mind this is a template not a perfect setup for every use case.
  • Like most of my Obsidian Templates, the project will not use advanced configuration’s in any of the Plugins used so it’s easier for new users to start using Obsidian.

Project Progress

1. Folder structure → Completed
  2. Vault intended rules → Completed
  3. Vault explanation → Completed
  4. Vault Templates → Completed
  5. Vault Theme → Default theme since most are not compatible with Obsidian v1.0
  6. Vault example → Completed

The Project is now open to the public to access in GitHub

2 Likes

Update on the Achievements plugin I’ve been working on.

Inspired by the Obsidian October livestream where they used svelte to create UI and functionality in an Obsidian plugin, I have converted all of the UI in the Achievements plugin to svelte!

First time using svelte, definitely loving the declarative style, and that I can subscribe to a svelte store to update the UI dynamically easily when my plugin settings change.

Shoutout to Marcus Olsson for the obsidian-svelte component library so I didn’t have to totally start from scratch when building out the UI!

2 Likes

M.I.S.S. W. - Vault Template/Demo

Hello everyone :smile:, I’m presenting my vault project M.I.S.S. W. (GitHub Repository), a vault template/demo for students, or anyone who wants to have an organized work environment as well.

The main objective of this vault is to provide you with the smallest set of tools possible yet also giving you the possibility to work on complex projects with ease (to some degree, since if the project is way to complex, that means you need to add the additional tools needed for said project). Not only that, but also it’s as flexible as possible, giving you the most amount of room for you to expand the tools already provided and adapt/develop a system/PKM good enough to suit your needs.

My vault doesn’t provide you with a bunch of “example notes” as I’ve seen other people do with their own PKM, since I don’t really think is needed. But what it has is a set of notes (Documentation) which explains every detail about how this PKM works, how to use it and some tips about some of the tools that I propose to use.

I hope it ends up helping to anyone that decides to use it as much as it did for me :blush:

2 Likes

Submitting an Obsidian Tutorial that I wrote in Obsidian. The ebooks from this work can be downloaded and read (.epub or .mobi) and/or they can be browsed at my Obsidian-published site. Readers can also download the same vault for integration to their own Obsidian install as an aid to learning Obsidian. Planning to double the available content over the coming month.

Info and downloads from this Obsidian page on my own site.

Cheers!

2 Likes

There is a general typing lag when the plugin is enabled. Unfortunately, I had to disable it.

(Index interval setting set to maximum
iPadOS 15.6)

I am sorry to hear that. What model of iPad?

Also do you notice this on any document, or long documents?

I have made the same experience. I think it has to do with the vault size.

I would like to figure that out. What is the vault size? How many files?

My fault size is 6366. I have a hole bible in my vault and have many cross reverences.

Please file an issue on GH, then we can work through it if you like. This plugin is used by others with sacred texts. likely its the large link count.

1 Like