Obsidian keeps indexing my vault

Steps to reproduce

Opening Obsidian

Expected result

I can use it

Actual result

A box pops open on the top right, telling me Obsidian is indexing my vault (screenshot), thing is, this has been happening for days! When I try to access a page it simply says 'No file' most of the time.

Sometimes I’ve been able to actually open a page and write in it, but then letters disappeared and another box popped open in the top right (something about merging files(?) , sadly no screenshot atm).
There are also 10 untitled pages that I didn’t create that I can’t delete (I can click delete, but nothing happens).
Windows also keeps ‘Downloading Obsidian from iCloud’

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10
  • Debug info: SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v0.13.19
    Installer version: v0.13.19
    Login status: logged in
    Catalyst license: none
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: light
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Safe mode: off
    Plugins installed: 1
    Plugins enabled: 1
    1: Checklist

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Community plugins: for bugs, please try to make the issue happen in the help vault or disable community plugins.

Additional information

1 Like

what happens in safe mode?

I have the same issue!

Upon opening Obsidian I get the indexing vault popup as per the screenshot above.

When I’m typing in a new note, at random intervals part of the sentence will be deleted. When I go into the folder on my desktop where the md files are stored, I will find several duplications of the file with blue arrows as the status. If I delete these blue arrow files, it may stop the issue for a short while but only until there is a new file created then it starts all over again.

Could it have something to do with the vault being stored on a shared drive?

This issue is replicated when in safe mode.

is your vault stored on iCloud?

yes my vault is on icloud drive

Sorry, I missed your reply. What do you mean by safe mode?

Yes mine’s on iCloud as well. Do you think that might be the reason?

there are known issues with iCloud sync, see iCloud sync issues

1. you could switch to the Obsidian sync (paid option)
  2. some users report success using the PC iCloud version for windows 7, 8
  3. personally I’m still doing manual cleanups of the extra …(1).md or …2.md files including those in the hidden .obsidian folder. Sometimes I have to kill the iCloud task and restart iCloud, sometimes I have to delete a file from iCloud.com so I can rename a …2.md back. It’s a bit of a hassle but with the file recovery option and backing up my files to dropbox I haven’t lost any data

Fabulous!!! I’ve just done option 2 using the PC icloud version for windows and so far so good!!! Thanks for this help!

1 Like

I can’t find the older version anywhere… any tipps where I can get it?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.