Obsidian Gems of the Year 2021 nomination - Plugins

Quickadd
:raised_hands:t4:
Love this plug-in. It makes my workflow so much easier, also in terms of housekeeping, since I can configure it to log my meeting notes for example to a project notes. Saves me time and worry.

14 Likes
  • Name; Fantasy Calendar
  • GitHub repository link; GitHub - valentine195/obsidian-fantasy-calendar
  • Ok so this was a really tight race with QuickAdd but somebody else just nominated QuickAdd so my conscience is clear. Fantasy Calendar changed my life. Literally. It has made writing the Roundup immeasurably easier, because I have a little visual floating on the corner of my screen at all times that functions as a weird little to-do list; I can always see whether I’ve started the next issue of the Roundup or planned out something for my newsletter the Iceberg, so when something crosses my dash when I’m at my desk I don’t have to bookmark it and think about whether I’ve already got a file started (and create multiples by accident, which I used to do all the time), I can just click to open it up. My newsletter hosting software doesn’t let me see a visual overview of what stuff I’ve already scheduled or drafted for a particular day, and I’m bad at numbers so just looking at the file list isn’t that helpful and doesn’t help me differentiate between statuses because I’m the worst at updating my metadata. But “Fantasy” Calendar has cheerfully let me hijack it for my real-life problems, while also being the only calendar “app” I’ve ever come across in years of searching that actually supports my nonsensical 10 “month” lunar calendar for my fantasy world.
11 Likes

Templater
This plug-in is a life saver and is by far my most used plugin, saving me a lot of time entering information but also helping me give consistent structure to those notes that need it. So flexible and powerful!

25 Likes

Map of Content for Obsidian
I’m putting this forward as well as I find it very valuable for understanding and managing content around key topic areas. It’s also ideal when there is a natural hierarchy to notes of which I have many. Looking forward to this plugin maturing and evolving even more!

5 Likes

Text Snippets
Repo
I enjoy templating in Obsidian in a sense that i can type text and it will write some markup/markdown, making it easier to create titles in the pages. The ability to create custom auto-complete statements is another big one aswell.

Overall this plugin makes it easier to be consistent between my pages, and for someone who enjoys consistency and reliability this makes me happy

3 Likes

Reminder
Interoperability with tasks, quickadd and nldates with customizable snooze options and tight integration with the system. It is simply the best and easiest experience found for working with reminders, even when compared to other paid apps.

4 Likes

Tasks

I have been using this plugin to manage my daily routine. I am a forgetful person and frequently forget what I need to do. With this I can manage both my short-term tasks and long-term goals. Of course, dataview and quickadd are both extremely helpful for my workflow; if I have three votes my votes would go to them three. But if I must choose one most relevant plugin, it’s tasks.

7 Likes

My nomination goes to my favourite plugin Breadcrumbs!

This plugin is perfect for structuring your notes so you can always find everything back you ever needed. All papers on a certain topic, or topics that are related to it? Easy! All papers from some author? No problem! All restaurants in the city of Utrecht? Just there! Navigating between days and years? Hovering just above your note! And all of this without requiring code blocks in your notes: Just there in the sidebar of Obsidian!
Breadcrumbs is the primary method I use to structure my vault, and I couldn’t be more happy with it.

17 Likes

Readwise

It allows me to accumulate annotations and notes from many types of sources, e.g. Inoreader for RSS, online articles with Readwise’s browser extension Highlighter or Hypothesis, PDFs, etc., into Obsidian. After this, I can arrange when and how to handle those annotations and notes with Dataview.

7 Likes

Map View
Github: esm7/obsidian-map-view
Add location data to any note and display it on the world map.
Ideal for travel preparations, History research of places or buildings, Journaling of places where you have been.

4 Likes

Excalidraw
obsidian-excalidraw-plugin
Allows text and drawing / image annotation in one tool. Wonderful!

8 Likes
  1. Advanced Tables
  2. GitHub - tgrosinger/advanced-tables-obsidian: Improved table navigation, formatting, and manipulation in Obsidian.md
  3. Makes it possible to work easily with constructing tables in markdown
14 Likes

Tabout, a plugin that let’s you tab out of parentheses, both round and square, footnotes, italics and bold markers, and pretty much everything. This is super useful if you find it easier to hit the tab button instead of the arrow keys, which it is for me since my laptop keyboard makes it harder to quickly navigate to the arrow keys purely by touch.

Image in Editor
Repo Link

I like spending most of my time in Editor and rarely switch to Preview mode. Image in Editor plugin helped me a lot to support my workflow and see images, pdf files directly in the Editor view. The additional option to see the transclusions in Editor is also very helpful!

10 Likes
  1. Periodic Notes
  2. GitHub - liamcain/obsidian-periodic-notes: Create/manage your daily, weekly, and monthly notes in Obsidian
  3. With this plugin, I got into the habit of keeping a diary every day and learning from my mistakes. In other words, this plugin served as a compass for me, which helped me to adjust my vector of movement when the wind of life took me out of the way.
6 Likes

Obsidian RSS

Bringing RSS into Obsidian, alone, is a breakthrough. Integrating note creation with the content of any item of an RSS feed, well, words escape me. The bar for Obsidian plugins is very high and Obsidian RSS exceeds it. Yes, I am gushing.

3 Likes

Pretty surprised to be the first to add Admonition !

I use it a lot for my lesson! So, know, I know directly what information I need to learn, what is my definition, example… Also, the collapside option is pretty usefull !

24 Likes

@Mara-Li Hi, please separate your nominations into separate replies as we’ll be linking to each one when in the voting process. I just added a note for that, sorry for not telling everyone earlier!

1 Like

Okay ! Sorry for that^^

My second nomination is for Folder Note (alx-folder-note)

It is really a part of my obsidian, like folder or tag. I literary cannot work without it.

4 Likes