Obsidian for web

Since, VSCode can run in the browser natively (see codesandbox), is it technically possible to port Obsidian over too? I’d also love to have this as an option (maybe even self host it).

2 Likes

Please, give some examples!

One big advantage of this is that it could also be a hacky way to use Obsidian across multiple windows.

2 Likes

Not necessarily a web app per se, but a browser-based interface. The use case is those people who use browsers for almost everything. For instance, I have a number of extensions running in my Chrome that would expedite integrating Obsidian into my existing workflow.

It would not only benefit chromebook users, but anyone else who spends most of their time in a browser.

Just my 2 cents.

3 Likes

I’d also be very interested in a browser-based editing feature. It is very important for me to have the full control of the files, and the desktop and mobile versions are very valuable to me, and I use them most often. However I occasionally find myself working on my personal data on computers of other people. This could be at work (at different office locations), on a travel (in hotels, libraries), during a visit of a family or friends. Synchronizing the files locally is infeasible in those circumstances.

Usually I open an incognito window of the browser and have access to all my Gmail & Evernote data, and it would be very important to me to have the editing access to my Obsidian data as well. When I work in Evernote, I usually edit several notes on two of my screens, while keeping a bunch of other notes open on the other two of the screens. The web-based editor would make it possible with Obsidian as well.

We already have our data at Obsidian cloud servers with Sync and Publish, so the web display and navigation are already implemented. The only thing left to add is an editor, I don’t think it would be a large overhead to implement.

6 Likes

I thought I had +1’d this topic in the past but I don’t see where I did. Maybe I did it in Discord.

Anyway, +1 - even if it has limited functionality compared to the desktop version, I’d love to be able to load up the web based version, oauth to my dropbox / google drive / etc, and access my notes without having to download any software or download my notes. I’d even be ok if this required an Obsidian Sync subscription.

It’s amazing what is possible in a web browser, and looking at discord as a model, I get 95% of everything I need from the web version, and only load the desktop version infrequently for very specific workflows that wouldnt make sense in the web version (streaming my screen).

3 Likes

I agree that a web app would be a huge value-add, even if it requires an Obsidian Sync subscription. I’ve been making more use of Obsidian recently, but without the ability to access it on my corporate pc with its strict security policy, there remains a huge part of my daily note app use that I cannot move over to Obsidian.

4 Likes

I can only echo, +1 and agree with this feature request. A web-based editor/viewer, preferably using Obsidian Sync, would be incredibly useful.

1 Like

Just dropping a note here, in case you ever need developers to work on this issue and you’re open to receiving the help of the community, I volunteer to join the effort of making this feature a reality.

another unfortunate victim of strict corpo policies :slight_smile:

8 Likes

It would make obsidian much more flexible. I’m a student, and if I could just log into the library computers and work smoothly there, too, it would be great.

3 Likes

I have a reason: Obsidian Doesn’t allow Dictation on the Mac Using voice control. For me that’s basically a dealbreaker And makes the application Unusable. And yes I am dictating this right now. :wink: So Yes please bring on the web Version so I can use it on safari and dictate.

1 Like

The problem

Chromebook without Linux containers (ASUS Chromebook Flip C302CA). I sync from my Windows computer to my Chromebook using Obsidian Sync + using the Android app. It is a mediocre experience :cry: Not to mention the limitation of 5 vaults (I use 7).

The solution

As much as I like Obsidian on Windows, a Web app would solve all my problems. I join the others regarding accessing Obsidian from any computer.

3 Likes

I have a similar issue on my Chromebook, I use mine for school so it’s locked down. There is no way for me to use Obsidian at school. Before anyone says anything about it just being markdown and how I can just use another tool, I use the unique features like the graphing tools, and linking functionality.

1 Like

VScode can now run from web browser.

7 Likes

I need this for using Obsidian at work, where they enforce a very strict policy regarding which application can and cannot be installed.

2 Likes

Using vscode.dev could be an easy solution to multiple windows!

2 Likes

I have corporate restrictions on my work laptop and have to resort to a Frankenstein approach to being able to access notes at home, work, and mobile. I’ve paid for sync and appreciate what it does but ended up creating a GitHub repository to be able to use logseq (web) at work for notes editing and then getting my full obsidian effect at home. The method is clunky and subject to a lot of curating because of formatting issues that I haven’t quite got straightened out between logseq and obsidian. Not particularly friction-free but worth it to be able to access my notes at work. A web application would allow me to use the amazing features I came to obsidian for while also being able to choose if I would like a local only notes database or a cloud based approach depending on the vault I am using.

5 Likes

Would be awesome to have a feature like this even if its very limited.

1 Like

As has been mentioned, work restrictions mean I’m using personal devices on the corporate network in order to utilize Obsidian for my workflow and while this has been approved by my direct supervisor, anyone above him could easily override my permissions. Since I can’t utilize it natively on my work PC, I’m carting around my iPad in order to manage my knowledge base and task management system.

1 Like

+1 for this feature request.

I used to have Obsidian working on my corporate laptop (local install + obsidian sync). And now, the corporate security admin just apply IBM carbon black, and it blocks Obsidian running on the laptop :frowning:

1 Like