Obsidian for web

Agreed. Obsidian has become an integral part of my daily workflow. I live in paranoia about the day when I cannot use Obsidian on my work laptop due to some internal security concern!

1 Like

I have a similar problem of not being able to install any 3rd party software on my working PC, and access to my knowledge base is very important for me at work. Web app with sync can be a paid option, new source of revenue.

3 Likes

What kind of documents we are talking about? The idea is to keep your home notes about technologies that you are researching or working with, accessible from office, if there will be an web app with sync, you wont download or upload anything directly.
+1 for web app

I agree. The idea of obsidian seems to be privacy-focused, so the only option I could see would be to create a simple online editor that can show obsidian links.

I share the same concerns as @AdminByTheBay. @IvanV Something along the lines of this (I think) is the only security conscious solution.

I know this is an old post but I seriously appreciate you spelling this out, @AlexanderSavenkov. I have been looking at this idea of getting my Obsidian files online and absolutely drowning in lingo-heavy guides and suggestions. Just having a clear starting point makes a world of difference! I already went through the Hello World tutorial and plan to explore more :grin:

4 Likes

I justed published an Obsidian-compatible template of Jekyll, if you’d like to check out :

6 Likes

Yes, a web app is necessary.

3 Likes

I agree web access is important (for me). I stopped using Joplin and started using Obsidian for this very reason. Since Obsidian files are .md files, I sync these to my self-hosted Nextcloud and installed the md plug in so that I can at least view and edit them if I’m away from my personal laptop. You don’t get the benefit of all the Obsidian functionality but its useable and fills the gap for me. I’d still love a full- or almost full-featured, self-hosted web-accessible version.

4 Likes

Just my +1 here too, even if it’s not a priority right now and that’s perfectly fine.

Re. whether it would support an “illegitimate” use (as per the discussion above): not necessarily. I work in academia, and we have our office computers maintained by IT. They install whatever program we want on it; but you have to call them, it takes about 15 minutes with all, even if they are not busy at the moment, and you have to redo it (if you dare) with every single update. So, it’s not illegal at all to use a 3rd-party app – but it’s a real PITA. A web-version would make this easier.
I mostly use my laptop in the office now too. But there are people out there who don’t.

1 Like

Need one developer to write converter and formatter.

• trun md to html converter

• backlink, yaml, block embed, block ref ,etc formatter.

Since, VSCode can run in the browser natively (see codesandbox), is it technically possible to port Obsidian over too? I’d also love to have this as an option (maybe even self host it).

2 Likes

Please, give some examples!

One big advantage of this is that it could also be a hacky way to use Obsidian across multiple windows.

2 Likes

Not necessarily a web app per se, but a browser-based interface. The use case is those people who use browsers for almost everything. For instance, I have a number of extensions running in my Chrome that would expedite integrating Obsidian into my existing workflow.

It would not only benefit chromebook users, but anyone else who spends most of their time in a browser.

Just my 2 cents.

3 Likes

I’d also be very interested in a browser-based editing feature. It is very important for me to have the full control of the files, and the desktop and mobile versions are very valuable to me, and I use them most often. However I occasionally find myself working on my personal data on computers of other people. This could be at work (at different office locations), on a travel (in hotels, libraries), during a visit of a family or friends. Synchronizing the files locally is infeasible in those circumstances.

Usually I open an incognito window of the browser and have access to all my Gmail & Evernote data, and it would be very important to me to have the editing access to my Obsidian data as well. When I work in Evernote, I usually edit several notes on two of my screens, while keeping a bunch of other notes open on the other two of the screens. The web-based editor would make it possible with Obsidian as well.

We already have our data at Obsidian cloud servers with Sync and Publish, so the web display and navigation are already implemented. The only thing left to add is an editor, I don’t think it would be a large overhead to implement.

6 Likes

I thought I had +1’d this topic in the past but I don’t see where I did. Maybe I did it in Discord.

Anyway, +1 - even if it has limited functionality compared to the desktop version, I’d love to be able to load up the web based version, oauth to my dropbox / google drive / etc, and access my notes without having to download any software or download my notes. I’d even be ok if this required an Obsidian Sync subscription.

It’s amazing what is possible in a web browser, and looking at discord as a model, I get 95% of everything I need from the web version, and only load the desktop version infrequently for very specific workflows that wouldnt make sense in the web version (streaming my screen).

3 Likes

I agree that a web app would be a huge value-add, even if it requires an Obsidian Sync subscription. I’ve been making more use of Obsidian recently, but without the ability to access it on my corporate pc with its strict security policy, there remains a huge part of my daily note app use that I cannot move over to Obsidian.

4 Likes

I can only echo, +1 and agree with this feature request. A web-based editor/viewer, preferably using Obsidian Sync, would be incredibly useful.

1 Like

Just dropping a note here, in case you ever need developers to work on this issue and you’re open to receiving the help of the community, I volunteer to join the effort of making this feature a reality.

another unfortunate victim of strict corpo policies :slight_smile:

8 Likes

It would make obsidian much more flexible. I’m a student, and if I could just log into the library computers and work smoothly there, too, it would be great.

3 Likes