Obsidian for Students - A Two-Phase Process

Hi folks. I’ve started drafting up how I’ve used Obsidian (in conjunction with other software) as a student that may be helpful. Its still in progress—right now, it’s mostly a conceptual description. If there’s any feedback on the post (what types of examples to walk through, etc.) or the workflow itself (always trying to tinker and improve it!) I’d appreciate it. Thanks so much!

https://publish.obsidian.md/anthony-agbay/Content/Posts/Obsidian+for+Students+-+A+Two-Phase+Workflow

12 Likes

awesome post, thanks for sharing it, I particularly agree with how awesome “anki for obsidian” is. It’s a game changer.

Keep up the great writing

1 Like

Wow, great description of the whole process!
I am setting up pretty much the same process right now.
So far I had some problems, because you really can’t skip the first but very important phase. You have explained that very well.

If the symbolic link works one day, I would be happy! :slight_smile:

Then a thing you could possibly do to have the notes from GoodNotes linked to the course MoCs is the following:

1. auto-backup the notes from GoodNotes in a cloud service which can also be accessed via your file explorer (unfortunately DAV is not supported by GoodNotes - so I now use Dropbox for example)
  2. reference to a pdf-file (or even the whole directory) with a symbolic link

Thanks for the kind words!

1 Like

Thanks so much! I also had a lot of problems when starting. There were more than a few cases where I was trying to use a single tool with mediocre results for the sake of using a single system instead of matching the task with an appropriate tool and accepting a little bit of a extra work (when the payoff wasn’t yet apparent).

I’ve been hoping GoodNotes to release a URL scheme to directly open a note in the native interface, similar to how Obsidian and some others have URL schemes to open specific objects directly. I’ll definitely look into your suggestion on using the automatic PDF backups as the entry point, particularly when I just need to reference something quickly.

1 Like

Hi aja2488,
Thank you for sharing the wonderful knowledge with the community.
I have found the way to integrate the Goodnotes notes in obsidian note.

1. use the Google drive as the cloud storage as back in Goodnotes
  2. save your note as pdf
  3. go to the file in the google drive and open it.
  4. you get the option to share.
    in that you can enable everyone can seen it but disable for downloading and edit
  5. use the iframe tag inside the obsidian note
  6. when you make the changes to the note it will reflect in your obsidian note.

new to obsidian! when I click the link, it takes me to a page that says “not found!”, on chrome. Has it been deleted?

1 Like

Aaw, me too. Was really looking forward to it :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

2 Likes

Hi aja2488, I stumbled upon this old post while looking for info on how to use Obsidian as a student; your article has been referenced in Reddit posts and in at least one YouTube video. Is there any chance you could make it available again? The people who have read it seem to have found a lot of value in it!