Obsidian for Musicians

Hey Syberyah! I actually intended to reply to your comment. Instead of that, I wrote a new message below yours :person_facepalming:
Sorry about that!

1 Like

Oh, that is a very good point. I’ll have to keep that in mind and figure something out to fix that!

1 Like

A workaround I also tried: downloading the videos from YT, and uploading them again into my channel -as private videos to avoid being blocked by copyright-. But apparently embedding private videos is not possible either… If you find a solution for that, then YT may work :slight_smile:

Regarding your first post in the thread: have you tried Anki for studying certain passages of music? I’ve been using it for around 3 years now and it works wonderfully!

1 Like

This discussion is also relevant here. Had totally forgotten about it!

1 Like

I’ve built a dataviewjs view that let me query my music.md files inside my vault and filter on some custom attributes. Here is a reddit comment i’ve made that explain a bit more what’s inside: https://www.reddit.com/r/ObsidianMD/comments/10wr95d/what_do_you_use_dataview_for/j7rc2n5?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share&context=3

I’m not sure that would really meets your needs though. I’m not a musician and this view is really just a way for me to store my youtube links (and mp3 files) in a nice and presentable grid view while having the possibility to add insights/comments inside each file if I feel the need.

As stated in my reddit comment, it’s not available yet. It’s a little too tailored to my vault and I still have some work to do to make it more user friendly. I’ll let you know when I push it to Github if that interest you

2 Likes

Hey, Krakor! Really interesting Reddit post. Please let us know when you are ready to share your dataviewjs with other users :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here it is :partying_face: some-custom-dataviews/jukebox at master · Krakor92/some-custom-dataviews · GitHub

It still contains logic that is tailored to specific metadata I use (only the voice field actually) but I intend to remove it at some point. This shouldn’t be a problem right now, unless you use that field as well in your music.md files, in which case you might get some unexpected behavior when you try to filter on it.

I’m sorry in advance if the readme is not clear enough or is missing some informations, it’s my first time sharing a work on GitHub that need such a big documentation. I will add images with some examples at some point for better understanding.

I’ve noticed it might not be clear in the readme but the query.js file I refer to is accessible in the root of the repository.

I hope this will meet some of your needs and anyway, feel free to send me a message here or on discord (i’m a bit active on the Obsidian server) if you have any questions.

2 Likes

Hey Krakor,
sorry for the late reply! Thank you so much for sharing this :slight_smile: I’m going to give it a go right away. Your documentation on GitHub is very interesting too. I see you are a video game music enjoyer! Cool, I am a film composer myself, and I’ve also been trying to make my playlists on Obsidian for inspiration. This is kind of unrelated, but Obsidian completely freezes when I open it on my iPad. I really don’t understand why! I just open the first note and any further search is impossible. Has this happened to you at any point? This is the only thing preventing my complete freedom from YT playlists.

It’s weird. I also have an iPad and have never experienced this kind of problem.

I guess you’ve already tried it but you should make sure it’s not the fault of a plugin (and that your application is up to date of course) before filling out a form on the forum.

Enable safe mode and restart Obsidian. If the problem persists, I suggest you create a new issue specifying your device specifications and application version.

On the other hand, if it solve your problem, you should apply the divide and conquer strategy to find the culprit. When you have found it, disable it and try to find out what could be causing this problem and open a new issue in the plugin repository to explain it.

I hope this helps

That divide and conquer plugin is neat! Thanks so much for the help, I’ll try what you suggest. Having access to obsidian on my iPad would be a game-changer actually. Thanks again.

Wow I have a lot of catching up to do! Has anyone created an YouTube tutorials? Willing to share their set up???

1 Like

Am I Too late for this???

Have you tried unlisted? That may work

Hey! Thanks for the idea. I don’t remember now if I tried that :slight_smile: I’ll give it a try, although being the control freak that I am, I do like to own my files. My current solution is painstakingly slow: when I want to “quote” a particular passage of music in a note I just take the link to the mp3 and copy it where I need to and manually add the timecode as an alias with | after the filename. When I want to listen the passage I was referring to, I have to open the floating window and click on the correct TC by hand. It’s better than nothing, but it’s very close to it!! :frowning:
Thanks anyways for thinking about this!

The solutions in this thread may be useful here as well:
https://forum.obsidian.md/t/how-do-i-embed-a-list-of-mp3s-queried-from-dataview-or-dataviewjs-query/

1 Like

Thanks for sharing it here!

Hello everyone! I just stumbled upon this fantastic plugin. I am curious about why we didn’t find this before, since it seems the plugin has been around for a while. In any case, it really makes musical KM way easier!! GitHub - noonesimg/obsidian-audio-player: audio player plugin with bookmarks for Obsidian.md

P.S. If anyone has any suggestion about how to use this plugin for all audio files automatically instead of having to write the code every single time… I’m all ears!

1 Like

Seconded!

Have you managed to get this to work properly with commenting? I can get the plugin to work only with mp3s but I cannot use the timestamp comment feature — the UI doesn’t display in the way the git page shows.
Thanks.