Obsidian crashing/failing to launch

I updated to 0.9.3, and after that it won’t launch at all on my mac (catalina 10.15.7). I tried moving the vault folder out of the way and restarting, but no dice. Any helpful tips on how to debug this?

Thanks,

patrick

Strange. Do you get any errors, or does it look like the app is launched?

No errors on screen, and the app doesn’t seem to fully launch (i.e. no icon in the tray at the bottom, and no entry in the process table). But, since you reminded me to be an engineer, I looked at the system.log on my mac and get the following:

Oct 13 08:59:06 TA-C02Z3080LVDL VTDecoderXPCService[97038]: DEPRECATED USE in libdispatch client: Changing the target of a source after it has been activated; set a breakpoint on _dispatch_bug_deprecated to debug
Oct 13 08:59:06 TA-C02Z3080LVDL VTDecoderXPCService[97038]: DEPRECATED USE in libdispatch client: Changing target queue hierarchy after xpc connection was activated; set a breakpoint on _dispatch_bug_deprecated to debug
Oct 13 08:59:06 TA-C02Z3080LVDL com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (md.obsidian.12396[97036]): Service exited with abnormal code: 7

Ha, thanks. That might be helpful for the devs. In the meantime, I hate to suggest it, but have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app?

I did that…I think. I deleted the app binary in the Applications folder, downloaded a new copy of 0.9.3, and installed it. Still no love :frowning:

Have you tried deleting the folder ~/Library/Application Support/obsidian too?

2 Likes

I just moved the existing one and reinstalled, and the app starts. I’ll poke around a bit more later and report back. Thanks for the tip @macedotavares!

2 Likes

Not sure what the deal is, but the old ~Library/Application Support/obsidian directory had 49M of stuff in it, mostly in the Cache directory. I’ll try to remember this fix if this happens again.

Thanks!

patrick

1 Like