Notify the user when an installed plugin is obsolete/not maintained

Use case or problem

Some plugins might not be maintained for a long time, and therefore they are more prone to break or to cause problems, potentially even without the user noticing before it is too late to fix them.

Proposed solution

It would be super useful and a life-saver to notify the user (upon opening Obsidian) when within their installed plugins there are some which have not been updated in a long time (let’s say one year).

Current workaround (optional)

Manually check when installed plugins have been updated the last time.

1 Like

You can give this plugin a try, should check for updates for you and let you know about them.

1 Like

Thanks @Zachatoo! It is useful for sure, but it does not quite accomplish the need I explained in the original post… do you think this functionality could be added to the plugin? Should I write a new issue on GitHub asking for this feature?

1 Like

I thought I saw a feature for this plugin that checks for updates to plugins on startup, maybe I misread.

Definitely a good feature request for that plugin.

1 Like

Yeah, but this idea is not just about checking for updates, but notifying about potentially abandoned plugins that haven’t been updated in a long time. I think making a feature request for that in the Plugin Update Tracker repo is a good idea, @xplosionmind. There is also another similar new plugin called Plugin Manager in beta.

1 Like

Btw the obsidian team/community maintains a list of broken plugin versions here: obsidian-releases/community-plugin-deprecation.json at master · obsidianmd/obsidian-releases · GitHub. Those plugin versions are automatically disabled the next time you start-up obsidian with a message explaining why. So hopefully issues are quickly reported and added to that list

In the future I might add a new UI to Plugin Update Tracker for viewing info about all installed plugins. In the mean time, happy to help if someone wants to try adding this to Plugin Update Tracker or another plugin. It’d also be quick for me to include metadata about all of a user’s installed plugins in the API built for Plugin Update Tracker, which anyone is free to use

2 Likes