Noticeable drop in performance of editor when file explorer displays over 1,000 items

Performance when writing appears to degrade with the number of items visible in the file explorer. On my computer it starts to become noticeable after several hundred items and becomes problematic after around 1000 items. The problem is that typing becomes laggy, it takes time for the characters to appear on screen. When the folder containing the files is collapsed performance returns to normal.

Environment

• Operating system: MacOS 10.15.3
  • Obsidian version: 0.6.2
  • Using custom CSS: Yes

+1 on Catalina - very good performance if File Folder collapsed - very laggy otherwise - stress test with 10000 MD files

Can you check with 0.6.4?

Catalina - 0.6.4

same laggy performance

File Explorer displayed:
2-3 seconds to toggle edit/preview
4-5 seconds from start keyboard typing and character displayed on the screen

File Explorer collapsed:
no noticeable lag

thanks

@Licat, I think you figured out what the cause for this is.

Yup already aware of the issue. Will be looking to make some optimizations to the file pane once we rework the pane system.

1 Like

@kepano @dottorzivago I’d be interested in knowing how much memory Obsidian would be consuming with so many notes.

Is it possible for you guys to check your Activity Monitor and post the consumption? FMU Electron doesn’t have a good reputation for memory management. On mine, with the Demo library open, it’s already consuming over 200mb and has over 50 threads in use…

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 8.59.34 AM

A fix is present in the next version 0.6.5. let me know it it helps

Catalina - 0.6.5
10000 md files

very good improvement :slight_smile:

• good performance with FE collapsed
  • almost no noticeable lag with FE displayed
    • to toggle edit/preview
    • to start displaying character on the screen after typing

Still problems with Search (Search in panels) - will fill a bug report