No valid Y value found in notes with Tracker Plugin

Things I have tried

Uninstalling and reinstalling the tracker plugin.
Different PCs.

What I’m trying to do

I have a feeling I am going to be embarrassed when this is answered, but for whatever reason I cannot get anything to work with the tracker plugin. Everything I do returns " No valid Y value found in notes".

Here’s a simple sample note and both trackers return " No valid Y value found in notes".

---
mood: 1
---

dvTarget:: 10

```tracker
searchType: frontmatter
searchTarget: mood
pie:
```

```tracker
searchType: dvField  
searchTarget: dvTarget
month:
```

2 Likes

I have no solution, just coming here to say that I’m dealing with the same exact issue. I feel like I must have toggled something off somewhere, which is making the tracker unable to see my metadata. Hopefully someone has a suggestion. Good luck!

1 Like

Actually, I just clicked around some more and it started working.

After going into the Tracker plugin settings, I removed the default folder I had put in and just left it with a single slash, the way it came. When I went back to my trackers, they work! And since you can specify which folder to look in within the tracker query, I’m not sure having a default folder matters all that much. Hope this works for you too.

1 Like

I’ve not used Tracker, so I may be way off, but could it be that the default folder is used for the base of searching for any targets? So that if you set it to a folder not containing the notes you would like to track, it simply can’t find those notes?

Yes, I imagine that’s exactly what would happen. But I had my default folder set to the folder I wanted it to pull from and it was returning with the ‘no valid y value’ error. When I removed it from the settings and just put the same folder location in the tracker query, it worked. Honestly still stumped, but if this is how it will work for me, then I’ll take it.

Hmm… I’m trying to test this, but what other settings did you need for it to build the pie chart? (I also note that if I manually add the data, I need to have at least three data value for anything to be produced, so if your original data set was less than three items, that could also be an issue)

I’m glad to hear I’m not alone on this one.

I have tried different outputs (bullet, pie, month, etc.) and none of them seem to be working for me. I kept it super simple and copied exactly what is shown at:

And, it still fails. I even created a new test vault and only installed Tracker in that vault. Same thing.

@slickshoes thanks for the suggestion but I already had the directory as the default.

1 Like

I think it might be some strange format requirements which are triggering this, but I managed to get some charts up and running.

I made three daily notes with the mood in the frontmatter, namely 2023-01-12 through 2023-01-14, and then used this syntax for tracker:

```tracker
startDate: 2023-01-12
endDate: 2023-01-14
month:
```
```tracker
line:
```

This resulted in the output of:

Are you able to get that output?

I also managed to get a pie to output, but I had to insert the data manually like in:

pie:
 data: 10, 14, 23

and it produces:

However, it does require something to be found, but it ignores the data altogether anyways. Strange stuff, if you ask me, and sadly we can’t ask the plugin developer since he hasn’t done any changes the last 7 months.

I have been using this code block and getting the no Y value error

searchType: task.done
searchTarget: Read
datasetName: READ
month:
    color: tomato
    headerMonthColor: orange
    todayRingColor: orange
    selectedRingColor: steelblue
    showSelectedValue: false

I had configured the plugin folder to be

HoldingPen/Daily Notes/

And like everyone here kept getting the error.

I had set the task as done in two daily notes.

Based on this thread I set a third note as done and it worked!

That was the only change I made. Just adding in the third data point.

I don’t understand it. But thanks to this thread at least I had some action to take in my efforts.

not recognizing Yaml
Yaml recognized

I was having this error until I realized the YAML on my daily note was not being recognized as YAML.

1 Like

I am experiencing a similar issue and I believe the root of my issue is that the yaml boolean values are not able to be interpreted correctly by the Tracker Plugin. This has been reported as an issue and a fix is in the backlog: Issues with bools in the frontmatter not working as expected · Issue #79 · pyrochlore/obsidian-tracker · GitHub

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.