New Window: Maintain Sidebars (e.g. File Explorer, Search, Outline, etc.)

Use case or problem

Many of Obsidian’s main features & functions are facilitated by the sidebars. By these sidebars not being present in “new windows” I often find that my ability to work in my vault is limited when using multiple windows

Proposed solution

New windows look & function identical to the current “main window”.

Current workaround (optional)

Related feature requests (optional)

26 Likes

This is really driving me nuts. Maybe I’m missing something, but I live and breathe in the sidebar/s. Why are they only present in the first window?

You can have multiple tabs in a new window, but not see the Outline view of any document unless it’s opened in the ‘main’ window? I find it really confusing and hard to use.

4 Likes

I couldn’t agree more! While the “new window” feature is fantastic & extremely valuable, it is severely handicapped by not including the sidebars.

EDIT: I don’t believe you’re missing anything. I too couldn’t find a solution.

If there is concern on maintaining the “main” window as being separate from any “new windows” I think there’s likely a better alternative solution. The first one that comes to mind is to number them somehow, wherever would be easily visible, but also not intrusive. The status bar comes to mind…

3 Likes

+1 on this! I use two screens on my desktop, and it would be fantastic not to have to mouse offscreen to use the sidebars.

7 Likes

+1!

Navigating to the main window to access Obsidian search is quite inconvenient.

it would be helpful if Obsidian could:

• Allow search to be accessed from any window, without having to navigate to the main Obsidian window.
  • Give all windows of Obsidian the same functionality as the main Obsidian window, similar to how pop-out windows work in modern web browsers like Chrome and Firefox.
2 Likes

+1 Search with pop out would be best, alternatively even with the option to add the search sidebar to the separated windows could help a lot.

2 Likes

this would be huge if added. can do it in notion but not in obsidian. wonder if there is a community plugin right now that allows us to use sidebars in new windows for obsidian?

2 Likes

I’m currently proving a work-around, if anyone is interested, please comment.

3 Likes

I’m definitely interested.

interested. Can you share your work-around?

+1 I was about to create post requesting just this. Yes, I like having multiple windows open, and the workflow would be so much nicer if these windows could also host their own side bars (Files, Outline, Backlinks, Search … etc., all of them)

1 Like

I’d love to help test.

I made a plugin that can be installed with brat. However it can lead to weird bugs.

Option for pop-out windows to have panes as main window like file explorer and outline - #9 by ibash