New Roam-like application appeared: Logseq

Hey @andyfreeland thank you so much for the awesome breakdown. I’m super excited to see my logseq worflow grow. Since yesterday that I found it thanks to you, I’ve been obssesed with it!

I’m a huge fan of August Bradley’s worflow, I use a variation of his task managment system in my Notion set-up.

If you find it useful I have tons of notes on some of August’s videos that I use to quickly revisit his whole playlist.

https://santiyounger.com/august-notion/

Thanks again for the amazing info! it means a lot

Have a great day!

1 Like

Logseq desktop app? Now that’s exciting! Quick question, do you use block embeds or to-do’s in logseq? If so, how do they display in Obsidian?

1 Like

Yeah it’s a much smoother experience. No loading or permission modal :slight_smile:

I don’t really use embeds, as I currently just use logseq for the daily notes feature. I use todos to mark ideas that I want to import to obsidian to turn into a polished atomic note…

Currently, logseq files don’t really integrate well with obsidian because all bullets are written as md headings Instead of md bullets… they are going to change that though I believe

2 Likes

Thanks Santi :slight_smile:

I actually read through all your notes a few weeks ago :wink:

I too am a big fan of August - his philosophy and approach is amazing. Can’t wait to see what he creates this year.

And yeah i feel you regarding the Logseq obsession… I love that I get the workflow of Roam with the transparency and control of Obsidian The UI is so clean, and for being still in alpha, it’s super impressive. Really friendly and responsive team too.

2 Likes

100% agree, super thankful to you for introducing me to this amazing tool.

no way that’s awesome! thanks for checking them out, the guy is a genius!

Excited to see where Logseq goes, but I’m super excited for it!

Have a great day!

@andyfreeland Just tried Logseq for longer the a few minutes a few days ago. I obviously have a lot more data in Obsidian, but I like you love the outliner style for quickness and ease of use to get your thoughts down. Not having the desire to share my thoughts online at the moment or in the near future, I would love for a tool that does both - I guess in this case Logseq? But have been a long time user of Obisidian, not to mention I am Canadian so that I love that I am supporting my Canadian peeps :joy:

Thoughts?

2 Likes

@andyfreeland, thanks for the information. I am exactly looking at logseq for the same reason. The freeflow of dailynotes makes it so much easier to just start putting all the information that you need. I also like the Idea of orgfiles too. Having the org schedule/deadlines methods are so great. If I find that I need to write some stuff. I do make a wiki link as well that way I know what needs to go in Obsidian.

Logseq looks really promising. I am using the 0.0.8 desktop app and it already looks pretty stable. I am not sure if they are going to be implementing the left side panel as well like roam.

2 Likes

Hey guys,

I’ve been playing a lot with Logseq lately.

So far these are the roles I have for Obsidian vs Logseq

Obsidian

Logseq

• Task mananagment
  • project managment
  • ideas caputuring
  • mobile capturing with an extra tool called Lupin

I made a video on Logseq (I mentioned Obsidian in it) but I’m yet to make more videos on Logseq + Obsidian

If there are enough people interested I do plan to explore Logseq a lot more in future videos!

Hope that helps!

17 Likes

I have been messing with Logseq for just over a week. Similar to your self I find the separation of creation and planning work best for me when separated. Both elements involve a different type of thinking. It is a nice product indeed.

1 Like

This thread perfectly crystallized what I’m struggling with between Roam and Obsidian. I would love to see an outliner built into Obsidian.

8 Likes

There are some sweet workflows to outline in Obsidian now.
This video shows how:

I get you @fakepilot, I thought that too before trying Logseq, but the outlining experience in Logseq is 10x better in my opinion.

Obsidian + Logseq is an awesome combination. I keep my logseq notes inside a sub folder in Obsidian and it works great.

4 Likes

I understood I would have an easier time with an outliner from the get-go. So, I totally agree here!

3 Likes

Do you need to do any converting to get Obsidian to read your LS notes?

2 Likes

No it’s great, every note you create in Logseq is easy to access from Obsidian without any extra steps.

Perhaps the only inconvinience is if you want a note created in Obsidian to appear in Logseq it just needs to have a title at the top of the note

---
title: This is my note
---

once that’s added everything works great on both apps, nothing too complicated.

My workflow like I said is mostly creating Logseq notes that I can edit in Obsidian (I don’t do the other way around often)

6 Likes

Can this be avoided by "if you prefer to use the file name as the page title instead of the first heading’s title, add :page-name-order “file " to the file logseq/config.edn”?

4 Likes

no way! I wasn’t aware of that, that seems to solve it, thanks for the awesome tip

1 Like

Had set logseq and obisidian in the same folder. Like to do daily log by logseq, and obsidian for deep thinking. However, is it possible and how to link obisidian pages by backlink [[]] out of logseq/pages?

Yes, backlinks seem to work fine, they’re all just working on the same Markdown files. You need to do that change to the config file listed right above you to let them see each other smoothly. Beyond that, it’s pretty amazing, though there are some stylistic/format differences I need to spend some time figuring out.

I think there needs to be a video by someone who is an expert. Right @santi ? Haha

2 Likes

Thanks for the support Obsidian + Logseq is definitely a video I have planned to do. Perhaps @ichmoimeyo’s great tip was the only missing piece I needed to improve the workflow! I’ll keep you guys posted on it

3 Likes