New Plugin: Yesterday transforms your notes into a visually stunning diary

Hi all,

I released my first plugin.

It lets you transform your notes into a visually stunning diary, integrating dialogs, chat logs, and media content blocks.

The plugin supports images using the easier iA Writer content block syntax:

![](standard_markdown.jpg)

/content_block.jpg

It also supports dialog or chat log rendering. An example from Casablanca:

.Ilsa: But what about us?
.Rick: We’ll always have Paris. We didn’t have, we, we lost it until you came to Casablanca. We got it back last night.
.Ilsa: When I said I would never leave you.
.Rick: And you never will. But I’ve got a job to do, too. Where I’m going, you can’t follow. What I’ve got to do, you can’t be any part of. Ilsa, I’m no good at being noble, but it doesn’t take much to see that the problems of three little people don’t amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you’ll understand that.

If a speaker is “me” (in any language) then it will be shown on the right side.

Here’s an example entry:

---
date: 2010-02-02 17:05:32 -04:00
    latitude: 40.7580
    longitude: -73.9855
weather:
    summary: Icy
    temperature: 3.06
    sky: partly-cloudy-day
---

§§§
I found myself in an ancient library, its shelves stretching into infinity under a dim, mysterious light. Among the endless rows, a book with a cover that shimmered like stardust caught my eye. Just as my fingers grazed its spine, it fluttered away, leading me through a labyrinth of shelves. This chase brought me to a serene clearing where the duck from earlier awaited, its feathers aglow with an ethereal light. It spoke with a voice that resonated with both familiarity and otherworldliness, imparting wisdom that felt profound yet slipped away upon waking.
§§§

Today's adventure took us to the heart of the city, yet away from its clamor: Central Park. A green oasis amidst the concrete jungle, each path and bench tells a story. Our first stop was the Bethesda Terrace, its intricate stonework and arches a testament to craftsmanship and vision.

/2010-02-02 - 15-12-13.jpg
/2010-02-02 - 15-12-45.jpg

Not far from there, the Bow Bridge presented a picturesque scene, its graceful curve reflecting on the calm lake waters, a perfect moment captured in the soft afternoon light.

/2010-02-02 - 16-01-31.jpg

While walking home, Karen shared a joke that unexpectedly lightened the mood:

.Doctor: I'm sorry but you suffer from a terminal illness and have only 10 to live.
.Patient (anxiously): What do you mean, 10?
.Patient: 10 what?
.Patient: Months?
.Patient: Weeks?!
.Doctor: Nine.
.Patient: 😳

The plugin also supports entry creation in the following folder structure:

Journal Name/
├── 2000s/
│   ├── 2008/
│   └── 2009/
└── 2010s/
    ├── 2010/
    └── 2011/
        ├── 2010-01/
        └── 2010-02/
            ├── 2010-02-01/
            └── 2010-02-02/
                ├── 2010-02-02 - 11-01-12.jpg
                ├── 2010-02-02 - 11-01-12.md
                ├── 2010-02-02 - 16-05.mov
                ├── 2010-02-02 - 17-05-32.md
                └── 2010-02-03 - 01-12-44 - todo.md

You can install it here: Plugins - Obsidian

And read more on the plugin website.

Let me know what you think and what journaling workflows are not yet covered.

3 Likes

Hi Dominik!
I am new to Obsidian and to…Yesterday :slight_smile:
I have the Yesterday plugin installed and enbled in Obsidian.
A simple question: How to I start using it?
Thanks!

1 Like

Hey. Welcome :blush:.

If you run your journal in its own vault then the easiest way to create a new entry is by clicking on the new entry button in the sidebar (or the bottom drawer on mobile):

Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-02 um 18.08.15

You can also map this to a shortcut.

Once you click the icon the plugin will create a timestamped entry that you can then fill with your thoughts. To see the rendered version you switch to the view mode. It’s the same as with any other note. The only difference is that you can now add dialogs and get an easier syntax for adding images. You don’t have to use any of this, though.

If you’re not yet done with your thoughts you can use the other button in the sidebar to mark the entry as a draft, so you can easily see, what you still need to work on.

If you write only one journal entry per day then you might want to use the Obsidian Daily Note plugin to create and manage the notes. You can still use the Yesterday syntax in there.

Does that help a bit?

Hi Dominik!

Thanks for your prompt reply.

It didn´t help a bit…it helped a lot!
Going to look into it a little bit more. But, so far, I find it incredibly useful.

Gratefully, :pray:

Glad to hear. Let me know how it goes.

This looks very promising. I like the simplicity of it. I do have a question, how do I get an entry to be created using a templater template? Currently notes are created with only the ‘date’ properties, and I’ll like others. In your example you have ‘location’ and ‘weather’ as well. Are those details pulled in automatically somehow?