Nested tags

+1 from me. This would be an excellent feature.

1 Like

I just moved to Obsidian from Bear. I found that my notes became write-only with Bear and I needed more flexibility of plain text files to solve this, which Bear doesn’t have. I have quite a lot of nested tags in Bear, and it was surprising that Obsidian didn’t have them. Would be really cool if Obsidian adopter this approach soon as well.

2 Likes

I’d like to suggest a similar but slightly different solution. Allow use of “::” and other symbols in tags to create nested tags. Then you can make primary::nested a tag where both primary::nested and primary show up if you search primary (preferably with future integration of wildcard search, i.e. primary::*::nested2). Currently I do something like this with “-” but allowing “::” and other symbols in tags would make this compatible with other systems. The GUI shown above would be a bonus as well.

1 Like

I think could be a great idea to have support for sub-tags or nested tags like in Bear or Evernote. It would be useful for many reason, one is to keep the tag list more navigable and useful. Another reason would be to implement some sort of hierarchy for the type of content instead of folders, for example for dividing work projects from personal projects and search for them individually or all together.
Finally can be use for mapping stages of development, for example we can have the parent tag for notes and the child for the stage of development those notes are in, for example seeds, sprouts, evergreens, without having 4 separated tags completely unrelated. Right now can be done but it seems like a workaround, I would like to see a better implementation like others apps have done.

3 Likes

Yes, please! Would be tremendously helpful! I could sync my tagging system across all the productivity tools currently using now!

I too used Bear for years and this was arguably the top feature for me-- I find it an incredibly intuitive way to organize my files.

1 Like

+1 this!

I agree. +1 for nested tags

+1 for this

+1 for this incredible suggestion.

+1 from me too, I’d love to organize my tags better!

+1 from me, nested/hierarchical tags would make them so much more useful

1 Like

+1. I (temporarily?) switched back to Bear for nested tags because it helps me quite a lot to get more structure into my notes.

This will happen.

7 Likes

https://forum.obsidian.md/t/obsidian-release-v0-10-3-insider-build/10605

9 Likes

Any idea how to search the child or subchild tag? tag:#subchild doesn’t return a result. tag:#parent works.

tag:#parent/child

4 Likes

Could there be an option to show the relationship between nested tags as connections in Graph View? So that when Tags are shown in Graph View the #parent/child_a and #parent/child_b graph nodes are connected to the #parent node.

1 Like

Hi @ryank can you open a new #feature-requests using the template for this? Otherwise, it will get lost in the archive.

1 Like