Juggl (Out now! 1.0.1): A completely interactive, stylable and expandable graph view plugin!

Hi Alex, thank you for trying out the plugin! I’m copying this message from Discord.

Windows is indeed a bit harder to install. The next thing I’ll work on is to remove the Python dependency. Do you think this will help?

2: This is currently not yet possible. Saving the state of the graph is something I have to implement! (I should document that, actually).

I try to organize nodes but they move only horizontally.
Do you have Hierarchical Layout on in the settings? Without the Hierarchical layout, you should be able to organize the graph layout. But you cannot ‘lock’ a node into place yet. (I’ve also just added this to the roadmap!)

I have to click on every text file in order to see it as a node in the graph.
You can expand the neighbourhood of nodes by double-clicking on them. Or you can select multiple nodes, and then expand all of them. See https://publish.obsidian.md/semantic-obsidian/Using+the+Neo4j+Graph+View#Interacting%20with%20the%20graph

Is it any limitations in Neo4j or it is possible to implement but it will take some time?
No limitation here! I’m pretty sure it should all be possible :slight_smile: And also very useful and general features, so I’ll definitely do them at some point.

Thanks for the input, it’s valuable to hear what people are missing most in the plugin.

Integrating Neo4j relationship types would be massive.

2 Likes

Hi all!
I’ve been working on rewriting this plugin with the new name Juggl. It no longer requires Neo4j and Python, and has a lot more features than Neo4j graph view.

It’s in a pretty good state, and I’ve been testing it already with some people in my Discord.
I’d highly appreciate anyone who would also like to help test! If that’s you, you can join this Discord: https://discord.gg/sAmSGpaPgM

2 Likes

Heya. Was just trying your plugin. I realised that it wasn’t what I was looking for, but it kinda glitched. I still have the option to “Open in Neo4j Graph View”. I tried reinstalling and uninstalling the plugin again, but it just made a second “Open in Neo4j Graph View” option. Any advice on removing that option? Pasted image 20210322132859

Strange. That should be removed if you turn off the plugin and restart Obsidian.

Hi Emile,

In addition to a typed/labeled link syntax within Markdown body, could you please also consider leveraging the structured data (or metadata) within the YAML frontmatter ?

To clarify: I am not suggesting to use any link syntax in the YAML block. Imho, we don’t need any (when dealing with YAML).

Instead, we can just Treat all YAML scalars as potential link targets.

The linked feature-request explains the idea in detail (with examples) and reflects my secret wish for Obsedian to serve as a poor-man’s graph database (or at least plain-text data-entry tool for one), with semantic links implicitly emerging from structured (YAML) data.

Tabulo[n]

Hi Tabulo,
I think we already spoke on the Discord, but this is possible in Juggl! See YAML Styling

Hi all! Juggl, the new graph view that will replace the Neo4j Graph View Plugin, can now be installed. It will be on the community plugin store soon :slight_smile:

Check out the main body post for more info: Juggl (RC1): A completely interactive, stylable and expandable graph view plugin!

3 Likes

First off, i am super impressed with what seems to be possible. I tested it and one thing immidiatly caught my attention - the graph seems to be supposed to work with file numbers under 250.
I could open my around 500 notes with it, but (as expected) it was quite slow and not really navigatable.

Is this supposed to only be used on local graphs?
Or are there plans to make this useable on higher note numbers aswell later?

Yes. Right now this plugin is indeed focused on the local graph, and the global graph is only provided as a convenience option for people with smaller graphs.
I might look into it more in the future, but it will never be as quick as Obsidians (super fast!) graph view. So it’s a tradeoff between amount of features/complexity of styling and speed here. For more info, see Global Graph mode

I’m very happy to announce that the Juggl plugin is released!
It is a graph view with many new features:

• Complete control over the style of your graph using CSS, YAML and a new Style Pane.
    • Include images!
  • A new mode that lets you build your graph with all nodes that are relevant to your current project
    • Selectively browse and hide nodes, and pin their location so you never lose them
    • Write new ideas and see your graph evolve
    • Save your graph and continue working on it later
  • 4 different layouts to get unique insights
  • A code fence that displays the graph within Obsidian notes
  • Link type support to label edges
  • No need to install Python or Neo4j
  • Extendable through other plugins
  • Works on mobile!

11 Likes

This is… amazing! :clap: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I haven’t played much with it yet but it looks like it’s able to bring Obsidian to a new level !
Thanks for developing this :smiley: :pray: :+1:

1 Like

Great, I think this makes it possible to visualize the self-organization and order of notes. It is worth exploring.
Thank you for your work :+1:

1 Like

hi, guys! Do you know how to open Style Pane in Obsidian Mobile? I can’t find the option.

I hope this helps. Check out the right sidebar, then click back (<- Backlinks for …)

2 Likes

Hi Emile.
Thanks for the great plugin and your appreciation for my tweet!
Here is my graph.css again.
(It is still in “style.css" in your juggl help)
I am Japanese and your snippet could not fit my text into a rectangle.
So I added “text-overflow-wrap”.
I’d appreciate it if you would add it to the help for those of us using CJK.

Also, I have configured the text around where the link appears so that it only shows up when hovering over it.

.note {
shape: rectangle;
width: 40px;
height: 20px;
text-valign: center;
text-max-width: 35px;
text-overflow-wrap: anywhere;
}
edge.inline.hover {
label:data(context);
text-wrap: wrap;
text-max-width: 250px;
text-overflow-wrap: anywhere;
}

2 Likes

Hi Kazdon,

Thank you for noticing the error in the help! And that’s a fantastic snippet. I added it to the help vault. I especially like the .hover selection! I think I’ll use that myself :slight_smile:
Tip for people who want to use that: Enable ‘Hover on Edges’ in the settings.

2 Likes

Thank you, Emile! It helps a lot!

Hey Emile, Thanks for the great plugin. I am quite new to obsidian (downloaded it last night) and I was recommended your plugin. What I am essentially looking for is a way to use only images in the graph view, just like you have boxes, bubbles, and callouts here. What I am imagining, is a graph view with many images and synapse-like links that connect them. I was wondering if I would be able to achieve that with your plugin. Let me know… Thanks!

1 Like