Need help with opening a specific page of a local pdf file in Obsidian

Things I have tried

I’ve pdf files on my computer that I am trying to link to a note in Obsidian. I’ve done the following to successfully link to pdf.
[test](file:///E:/Medicai%20books/Subjectwise/Anatomy/AnatomyandPhysiology-OP.pdf)
But I am trying to link to a specific page, as the books are thousands of pages long.
The below method did not work.
[test](file:///E:/Medicai%20books/Subjectwise/Anatomy/AnatomyandPhysiology-OP.pdf#Page=100)

What I’m trying to do

So now I don’t know what to do to link to a specific page of a local pdf. What I’ve tried has not worked as mentioned above. Please help😵

1 Like

Not an easy answer because all the questions are outside obsidian: your OS, your default pdf reader, etc. (for example, Acrobat only works with html format links… Create a URL to open a PDF file at a specific page)

You might want to consider renaming your post title to be “open a specific page”.

From testing this out, it seems the page linking feature is meant for linking a PDF in Obsidian. Or embedding a PDF inside a note, and showing a specific page.

Judging from your syntax, you are attempting to create a hyperlink that opens a PDF in your system’s default PDF app? Is that right? And yeah that does not seem to work if you include a page number.

At the moment as the feature works (as far as I can tell) you can only “link” to a PDF page that’s inside your vault like this:

[[AnatomyandPhysiology-OP.pdf#page=100]]

![[AnatomyandPhysiology-OP.pdf#page=100]]
4 Likes

Thanks. I’m on windows 10. The pdf reader is Xodo for now.

1 Like

[quote=“drtamalikajee, post:4, topic:24245, full:true”]
Thanks. I’ve changed the title as you’ve suggested. Hope a way to do this could be implemented soon. :

[quote=“drtamalikajee, post:5, topic:24245, full:true”]
Thanks. I’m on windows 10. The pdf reader is Xodo for now.

I use macOS and specific mac apps like Devonthink (able to work with x-callback-url links). For mac they’re other apps like Hook (I never tried) for stable links between apps and pdf readers that work with link to page (e.g. Skim).
For Windows I don’t have any reference.

Thanks. I’m on Windows! Good idea for Mac users.:slightly_smiling_face:

Is there any way to open a pdf file on a particular paragraph of a page of a pdf file by means of a link in Obsidian?

1 Like