Need help troubleshooting issues with aliases in Obsidian

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to learn more about using Obsidian and I’m having some trouble with creating aliases. I’ve followed the documentation and tried a few different things, but I’m still having trouble getting the aliases to work. I was wondering if anyone here has had a similar issue or might have some suggestions for troubleshooting.

I’m using Obsidian on a Mac and I’ve tried creating simple test cases to make sure that the YAML front matter block is correctly formatted, but I’m still having trouble. I’ve also checked the file paths to make sure that they are correct and that the files are accessible.

If anyone has any experience with this or any suggestions for things to try, I would really appreciate it. I’m trying to learn as much as I can about Obsidian and I’m eager to get past this roadblock.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

What I’m trying to do

You’ve completely missed out on typing what you’ve tried, and what you want out of it. So essentially you’re saying you’re having a problem, but not what the problem is…

3 Likes

As @holroy stated you’ve not clearly told us what’s your problem, but here are the basics.
This is working YAML frontmatter:

---
aliases: alias1, alias2
---

YAML has to be at the top of your note and has to be enclosed by ---

With the above YAML in a note named Example Note, you can now link to this note from another note by using the brackets [[]]. Autocomplete will now show you alias1 & alias2 and they will link to the Example Note. The link will be named after the alias you select.

1 Like

Sorry for not being clear, I knew I should’ve waited until morning to ask this!

I tried your example @Qlondre and I managed to get it working. I was thinking this text was supposed to go in each note you wanted to use an alias but it turns out you just need to put this in the note you want to link to. Appreciate the help!

1 Like

Sorry about that, was in a bit of a rush when I typed this and forget to give it a point… My bad. I’ve since figured it out though so thanks anyway!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.