Navigate search results without using the mouse

It would be great to have this feature. I switched recently from Roam, and it really hurts not having this. I am also using voice2code software(Talon - https://talonvoice.com/) and lack of these shortcuts makes it impossible to add better support for Obsidian in Talon.

Does anyone know if it is possible to hack around this? I know that Obsidian gives access to devtools, but I have no experience with web programming, and don’t know if it could help somehow?

5 Likes

really need this feature too, even more, I want search integrate into quick switch, which allow me navigate not only between file, but also any content and header

3 Likes

Use case

It would be great to be able to assign a hotkey for next/previous search result. That would allow the user to breeze through the found notes in a similar manner as we’re able to do with daily notes.

Proposed solution

Assign a hotkey for next and previous search result item.

7 Likes

Also, pressing ESC should clear the current search.

2 Likes

Use case or problem

when i do global search ctrl + shift + f
i have the then use my mouse to click on one of the search results

Proposed solution

i would like to use arrow keys (up and down), tab (next suggestion) and enter (pick suggestion) to navigate the search suggestions / results

4 Likes

Maybe we are missing something, but how something this obvious isn’t implemented in such a well made application is beyond me. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Maybe there’s an alternative that some community members are using at the moment? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

After I enter Ctrl + Shift + F to get search results, the correct logic should be to use the arrow keys to select items. Now I can only use the mouse to select items, Keyboard does not work

7 Likes

Just seconding that this functionality is important - selection via the arrow keys would be ideal, numbered hotkeys also seem reasonable. Is there any alternative currently to get this functionality without a mouse?

4 Likes

please please please please please add this

3 Likes

this feature is absolutely critical.

How do other users search and navigate their notes? using the mouse???

4 Likes

Ideally first result should be actionable with enter key while the focus stay in the search box for further input if needed.

1 Like

I’m somewhat shocked this doesn’t exist. I wouldn’t even consider using an electron app normally, but obsidian works surprisingly well. This is a shame though, at least tabbing must work, just like in other apps.

Absolute must have. :+1:
Please rank that high on the to-do. It’s just a shortcut so not a lot of work anyway. This thread is from 2 years ago…

4 Likes

It seems crazy that such a thing isn’t easily doable - from both an accessibility and productivity point-of-view!

2 Likes

I only just discovered today, the community plugin “Core Search Assistant” can navigate search results via keyboard, with shortcuts you can remap. (ctrl+N and ctrl+P by default. ctrl+enter to open the note.)

It can also show card previews of your search results, which is pretty cool for seeing context, including images!

9 Likes

As you said It is possible to do a search without using the mouse.

This issue is about the fact that without the mouse it is not possible to:

• Open the files found by the search
  • Leave the search pane
1 Like

This feature is absolutely needed

Guys… GitHub - qawatake/obsidian-core-search-assistant-plugin: An Obsidian plugin to enhance built-in search: keyboard interface, card preview, bigger preview

4 Likes

Just installed and tested a bit:

• does NOT work with the build-in quick switcher
  • works with Quick Switcher++
  • doesn NOT work with the dropdown menu from Tasks

For auto-completion I use obsidian-various-complements-plugin which provides shortcuts for selection.

and The Oscar goes to “Core search assistant plug-in” :smile:

1 Like

Overall increase full keyboard navigation. This in particular:

After typing in a search team, allow up and down arrows to move through search results, and ENTER to select one to open.

15 Likes