Tabs in the Main Area of Obsidian view (in the panes) (like a browser)

It would be nice of Obsidian supported multiple tabs. This way a user could open a set of documents in each tab to work on multiple things at once, like personal and work-related things, etc. And a way to preserve what was last opened in case the app crashes or the system has to restart would be helpful as well.

An alternative would be to create a new window, but supposedly there’s a technical limitation that prevents that, iirc.

67 Likes

That would be cool. Tabs with related information, maybe even in splits (like Vim because I know nerds are building it). I have never found a better way for tabs/splits than what Vim provides.

2 Likes

I’ve been playing around with this and from what I can see each vault appears to work like a tab. The vaults are just like looking through windows into your file finder, you can choose which folders and files are shown in your vault, or start new ones. You can open more than one vault at a time and easily switch between them by clicking ‘open another vault’ in the right hand menu or assign a hot key in settings….also I’ve found you can put 2 different vaults side by side in split screen view and work off them both together…I hope this makes sense and helps.

Sounds related to this feature request https://forum.obsidian.md/t/custom-layout-manager-pinned-graph-view-and-saving-custom-workspace/393. So in this case having a saved “workspace” in a tab?

2 Likes

Sounds related to this feature request https://forum.obsidian.md/t/custom-layout-manager-pinned-graph-view-and-saving-custom-workspace/393 .

Thanks for that!

So in this case having a saved “workspace” in a tab?
Yes. It would be an additional feature that would be available after tabs were implemented.

I’ve been playing around with this and from what I can see each vault appears to work like a tab. The vaults are just like looking through windows into your file finder, you can choose which folders and files are shown in your vault, or start new ones. You can open more than one vault at a time and easily switch between them by clicking ‘open another vault’ in the right hand menu or assign a hot key in settings….also I’ve found you can put 2 different vaults side by side in split screen view and work off them both together…I hope this makes sense and helps.

This is pretty useful, thank you! I’ll try this out.

I currently use sublimetext as my daily driver for my knowledgebase (though I’m experimenting with and rooting for obsidian!) - this is one of the things that’s holding me back slightly.

Tiling and paning is great, but when I’m performing refactors between different files, I still find it more ergonomic to use ctrl+pgup/dn to cycle rapidly between tabs in order to switch between buffers. When I’m synthesizing an idea from many different points in my knowledgebase, I’ll often pull them all open and cycle between them, but only want to have one main file I’m working on, instead of tiling 7 different buffers out.

2 Likes

+1 ,expect for this mode~

Looking forward to a multi-tabbing mode like chrome, which will make switching between multiple volumes open at the same time easier and more intuitive!

10 Likes

+1 This is so important for me! I have notes I want to keep on the same pane to switch between frequently.

2 Likes

I am a newbe and still trying to find my way around. So I am not exactly sure what you mean by a “volume.” When I first read it I immediately thought of “vaults.”

I would Love to see tabs that would each contain a vault. I understand the separation of vaults but wish they could “cross-polinate.” It would be especially nice to connect notes together from different vaults. But when I think of vaults as individual data bases I understand more.

I am a big fan of the new changes in the sidebar. I think it has a lot of potential and will make a significant impact on productivity, esp. the tabs.

If this feature gains traction among users, then how about enabling tabs in the main area of Obsidian (in the panes) similar to what is now available in the sidebar? I think the design should follow what is now common in most browsers. Control+tab shortcuts to navigate, the ability to close all or close everything to the right, duplicate tab. Hovering over tab should show the name of the. Chrome recently implemented the feature to group tabs.

Maybe eventually the ability to open notes within a folder as tabs. Or multi select notes from the File Explorer to open them as tabs. Conversely, if you can have the option to create or move to a folder for tabs that are open.

25 Likes

Wanted to suggest that, too. A tab system like in browsers, sublime, vscode would increase efficiency and allow to keep most frequent notes open constantly.

9 Likes

Basically, this is a request to make tab functionality available on any pane, not just panes which are in the left sidebar (which is awesome by the way).

I like to switch rapidly between “clusters” of related notes on particular tabs (for example, one tab for reading notes, another tab for permanent notes I’m generating based off those reading notes).

8 Likes

I think it would be better if we can open multiple tabs in every pane. (just like VScode)

6 Likes

+1
Currently we can have several Note Windows open within Obsidian. Just to be clear, each window pane should allow Tabs. We don’t want to end up exactly like a browser which typically can only show one tab at a time in the window. Having multiple Note Windows visible at once is essential! And each one of those Panes can quickly switch between its own set of tabs.

9 Likes

Would like to bump this feature request. An ability to have split panes, with tabs in each pane is a definite improvement to any workflow! Coming from a code editor perspective with split views e.g. VS Code, Sublime Text, Atom, etc. Definitely what I’m looking for :+1:

8 Likes

Please I hope this feature gets implemented soon! I often end up having multiple notes open at the same time and have another one for note taking when doing research. Overtime it gets very cramped so a browser-like tabs for notes will tremendously make my note taking smoother. Thanks!

1 Like

I started to use Obsidian and am a heavy VSCode user. In VSCode it is possible to split windows and in each window have multiple tabs.

A frustrating thing in Obsidian (much like Overleaf’s UI) is that when you select a node an open in, it will completely overwrite whatever was open/displayed in the current window fragment.

This is bad UI! Could the developers please make it, so that the split windows allow multiple tabs—or at the very least, if you really don’t want this as the default behaviour (not sure why anybody would not), then allow for a keyboard shortcut (e.g. alt click or something)?

The problem with your current setup is, that some users want to use only a few split windows (e.g. users with small laptop screens) and want to (1) keep severals simultaneously open … and (2) not have to create more split windows. The current setup prohibits this kind of workflow.

4 Likes

I think this is the most efficiency of split layout:

Left 1 , Right 4 square .

If more than 6 , 7 pages, you even can’t edit any page. bcz they’re very small.

Althought currently doesn’t support multi-tabs, but 5 pages like that layout is quite enough and the most efficiency by my experience.

If support multi-tabs, you open 10 - 20 pages, the performance of software is the problem.

So keep simple, 5 page like that layout is quite enough.

1 Like