Multi column sidebar

Hi, This is a quality of life request to add a little more versatility to the UI. Have the sidebar take advantage of widescreens.

Currently we can tab panels or stack panels in the sidebar. Provide the option to have multiple columns as well.

Currently we can use multiple editor windows in column or row configs. Having the sidebar contain multiple columns means you can have more info displayed about the current editor (links/tag). Also you can collapse it or hide it easier.

For anyone with a widescreen or ultra-wide monitor this could be a better use of space.

24 Likes

I second this not-too-old feature request!
My usage: to see at a glance the local graph, the matrix view from the Breadcrumb plugin, the backlink pane and the Graph Analyiss plugin pane. That side of the screen would serve as an information-packed hub.

3 Likes

I third this request.

Layed what I thought would be cool here:

3 Likes

It would also be great for people who most of the time have the sidebars closed and only open them to take a quick glance at something.

2 Likes

This would be a big QoA improvement. As StefanoA said above,

that can easily toggle on/off would make all the information much more accessible and thus more useful because users are more likely to use them. Current implementation if you want to view Folders, Tags, Bookmarks, Outline, Backlinks, Outgoing links, local graph, takes too many clicks because you have to switch between them.

Multi-column sidebar would enable users to have all the information available at once, removing distraction especially when you’re switching between notes too.

4 Likes

I would LOVE to have a multi-column sidebar!

3 Likes

You can use File-Tree Alternative Plugin as mentioned in the thread.

One minor issue I have with it though is you can’t set icons using Iconize plugin.
Anyway it would be better if it’s implemented by default just like Notes app on iPhone.