Steps to reproduce
- create a symbolic link in an obsidian vault that points to a directory on a different mount point / physical device
- Right-click on a file in the file explorer and choose “Move”
- Select as a destination the symlink
The file will be moved
The file is not moved and no error is displayed to the user.
- Operating system: MacOS 11.1
- Obsidian version: v0.11.0
The same “move” operation succeeds is the symlink points to a directory on the same device as the vault.
Please also see: 0.11.0 - moving file shows toast notification "Successfully renamed"
I don’t necessarily consider that issue a “bug” because, well, Obsidian actually is renaming the file, not moving it.
However, I think it should be clear what’s happening and why a failure is occuring.
If the devs choose to implement “move” as “rename”, then (since a move cannot happen across mount points or devices), a failed move should pop up a toast indicating that the rename/move failed.
Personally (maybe because I like unix), I really like the existing semantics. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that an atomic rename operation has occurred.