Navigate search results without using the mouse

After typing search, it would be nice, if

• you were able to navigate between the results with keyboard. up/down keys can navigate you to that result
  • maybe search could be a popup window, as in IntelliJ
  • and also a search history would be useful (and accessible with keyboard, like Ctrl+)
89 Likes

…and hitting Esc to leave the search pane altogether.

7 Likes

Now with the new search features in 0.8.0, navigating results via keyboard would be especially useful. I’ve found having to go the mouse cumbersome when using the new file:filename search feature, instead of down arrow and return to open the note.

2 Likes

Use case or problem

As a user, when I search all my notes using CTRL-SHIFT-f I would like to jump to a search result using the keyboard, so I don’t have to reach for the mouse.

Proposed solution

Couldn’t we just assign a number to each of the first 10 results and whilst in the search bar, if we press the number it loads the note and changes the focus to the editor, and if we press say ‘alt-resultnumber’ it loads it without moving the focus

4 Likes

Please no. It breaks typing numbers to the search field.

1 Like

ah good point, merry it with another hotkey then? Maybe alt-num goes to result, alt-shit-num loads it without moving focus. I’m not emotional about it, but I’d love to be able to go directly to a result without having to traverse the list one at a time, to get down to the right result.

don’t get me wrong, we could have both right? And will need the ability to traverse when the number of results is > 10.

1 Like

it would be nice to have a note preview as the list is being traversed. Currently this happens when hovering over note title with the mouse.

4 Likes

Edit the title a bit, it was more confusing before, as it’s already possible to merely do a search with keyboard (Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-F and then type your search query).

1 Like

I’m new here and not sure how we’re supposed to show support for an idea, but this one gets a big thumbs up from me.

1 Like

@TheIdOfAlan There is terse summary in FAQ: https://forum.obsidian.md/faq#keep-tidy

2 Likes

Yes, so important for accessibility! Side panels in general are not navigable without a mouse, which is a shame.

2 Likes

Posting me support for this, please!

1 Like

Yes, it’s very strange to type in a search, see results populate in a list, then not be able to walk the list by using arrow keys or even hit [ENTER] to select the first result.

5 Likes

It would be great to have this feature. I switched recently from Roam, and it really hurts not having this. I am also using voice2code software(Talon - https://talonvoice.com/) and lack of these shortcuts makes it impossible to add better support for Obsidian in Talon.

Does anyone know if it is possible to hack around this? I know that Obsidian gives access to devtools, but I have no experience with web programming, and don’t know if it could help somehow?

5 Likes

really need this feature too, even more, I want search integrate into quick switch, which allow me navigate not only between file, but also any content and header

3 Likes

Use case

It would be great to be able to assign a hotkey for next/previous search result. That would allow the user to breeze through the found notes in a similar manner as we’re able to do with daily notes.

Proposed solution

Assign a hotkey for next and previous search result item.

7 Likes

Also, pressing ESC should clear the current search.

2 Likes

Use case or problem

when i do global search ctrl + shift + f
i have the then use my mouse to click on one of the search results

Proposed solution

i would like to use arrow keys (up and down), tab (next suggestion) and enter (pick suggestion) to navigate the search suggestions / results

4 Likes

Maybe we are missing something, but how something this obvious isn’t implemented in such a well made application is beyond me. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Maybe there’s an alternative that some community members are using at the moment? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

After I enter Ctrl + Shift + F to get search results, the correct logic should be to use the arrow keys to select items. Now I can only use the mouse to select items, Keyboard does not work

7 Likes