Meta Post - Hotkeys

Do you mean inserting a link that you have copied from the web into your daily note? Or make a bidirectional link to today’s daily note in another note?

Correct, so that by using the hotkey on a page other than today’s daily note, a link to the daily note eg. [2020-07-03](2020-07-03) will be inserted at the cursor.

Is there a global hotkey just for launching obsidian? And maybe toggling it? I mapped one out for myself using alfred (i’m on mac) but maybe because cmd-w doesn’t work, it doesn’t feel as smooth: Close obsidian with cmd w on mac

Hey all. Is there anyways to go up and down a list of notes in any folder using hotkeys in obsidian?

Not sure if you’re still looking for hotkey ideas, but I’d love to be able to hit a hotkey, Then use a dialog similar to quick open to move a file to a different folder.

for instance:

File 1 is in the inbox folder.
Hot key invokes quick move dialogue
User enters the first letter of their Project 1 folder
Project 1 folder is autocompleted and highlighted
User hits return and the file moves out of the inbox, and into Project 1 folder.

DEVONthink does something similar and it’s magical.

2 Likes

Have to share a hotkey for making internal links with Autohotkey.
Select text, then hit Ctrl + L (choose your own)
FYI, #IfWinActive is so this only activates inside of Obsidian, not other apps.

; Obsidian
#IfWinActive, ahk_exe Obsidian.exe
$^l:: ; Internal link
    Send,^c
    ClipWait
    Send,[[^v]]
    Return
#IfWinActive
1 Like

This also has a builtin hotkey if you select text and press [[, it automatically does the same without losing on the selected text. A side-benefit is that you don’t lose your clipboard during the process.

2 Likes

:heart: Great tip @Rishi.
Something I would never get from my previous reading of the standard help reference.

Wow, thanks! :smiley:

Since last time, I really wanted it to be a left-hand hotkey only, since I use it so much. Updated it to Ctrl + § on my Swedish keyboard. The key, to the left of 1. Have become sort of like an universal tweakable hotkey for me, that I adjust on all software I use.

Usually use § for zooming in and Shift + § for zooming out. In all of my apps. Or navigating in and out of things. So I set Shift + § to Navigate Back hotkey in Obsidian and I make a Ctrl + Left mouse button click when only clicking §.

Doing this makes it very fast to create links, then navigate between them. Navigating fast through your second brain. :grimacing: Don’t even have to see my folders and files anymore.

$^Sc029:: ; Internal link with Ctrl+ §
Send {`[}
Send {`[}
Return

$+Sc029:: ; Navigate back with shift + §
Send ^!{Left}
Return

$Sc029:: ; Follow link under cursor with §
send ^{LButton}
return

At the moment, not sure if I’m going to have the § key for Ctrl clicking buttons or for Ctrl+E. Switching between preview and edit. I might be using that even more…

3 Likes

That’s a nice workflow. I understand the fascination with the key before the 1 it’s ~ for me and I also tend to use it mostly for shortcuts. But now that you mention it using it for something similar in all apps makes quite a bit of sense. Always nice to see other people’s way of working, one always ends up learning something.

1 Like

Thanks. :slight_smile:

I’m one of those Wacom tablet guys, so whenever I can skip using my right hand for hotkeys it’s a big time saver for me. Like, hitting Alt and moving my right hand up to the 7 key and hit two times, then hand back down to Wacom. Not fast! If there was a way to move your selection to different links in your document, then maybe we could skip the mouse or pen in Obsidian. Or maybe that’s what Vim keys are for? I found this page for Vim keys. Maybe we could use it with AutoHotKey, to go into Vim mode, do a Vim shortcut, then move straight back into regular mode.

move your selection to different links in your document

Not quite sure what you mean by that. You mean like jumping from link to link like we can on a browser (with accessibility at least). If that’s the case, albeit not seamless, but you can perhaps use the search in current note hot key and search for [[ especially if the sequence can be automated with autohotkey since that could allow this kind of jumping at least in the editor mode.

Hello fakepilot, I’'m on 0.8.4 and this command does not work. I have to highlight the [[link]] using the mouse before it works. The [[link]] needs to have an underline when you hove the mouse for it to work. could you check this? I like to use only the keyboard to wander around connected notes.

One solution is to make mouse follow the position of the text cursor before sending the ^{LButton}.

Yeah, true, that was my intention. With a Wacom pen you can hover without touching the tablet, then click with left hand § instead of putting the pen down. Still, I don’t use it now. I find it’s faster to switch between edit and preview with § and click whenever I want to go down. So I do a lot of switching instead and make internal links like crazy, jumping between different topics.

However, if you like the keyboard workflow. You can follow link under cursor with Alt + Enter and that hotkey can be changed within Obsidian Hotkey settings. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the tip! Here is the updated script

$^:: ; Internal link with Ctrl+ § Send {[}
Send {`[}
Return

$+`:: ; Navigate back with shift + §
Send ^!{Left}
Return

$`:: ; Follow link under cursor with §
Send !{Enter}
Return

2 Likes

There should be hotkey to navigate autocomplete lists (e.g. when making note links). This should be Ctrl-P and Ctrl-N to follow typical behaviour.

5 Likes

Custom hotkeys to open specific files we can choose. E.g I have a note called Habits which I’d like to do ctrl + h.

Hotkey for inserting internal links for selected text.
e.g. If I select the text New Note and press the hotkey, it becomes [[New Note]].

1 Like

This request for heading hotkeys wasn’t in the list at the top, linking it here for completeness: