Markdown link fails

Things I have tried

I have a markdown link to an already existing file that appears correct [6.2a xxx as god](6.2a xxx as god), but instead of opening the file it creates a new empty with the specified name.

I thought the fact that “%20” is missing between the alphanumeric part of the name and the alphabetic part was the source of the problem. But when I manually insert that into the filename of the link the link appears as plain text instead of as a highlighted link.

What I’m trying to do

My recollection is that in the past–I’ve been away from Obsidian for a while–when creating a markdown link within Obsidian “%20” gets inserted automatically in the appropriate place.

Why isn’t this happening? And why when I insert it manually does it appear as text instead of a highlight link to the file?

I was going to say periods aren’t allowed in file names. But I tested and now they seem to be. I guess this was a recent change.

Yes the missing %20 is the problem. But instead of saying that you typed %20, please paste the entire actual link you typed, including the %20. Or show a screenshot. Then we can look for syntax errors.

We talked about this in a couple threads of yours. The %20 will be added automatically if you have “Use [[Wikilinks]]” turned OFF in your settings. You shouldn’t need to be typing links manually.

And to begin an auto-formatted link, whether you are using Markdown links or Wikilinks, you still must type “[[” to begin the link search. Then start typing “6.2a” and when you hit enter, it should fill in the entire link as a Markdown link. Including %20.

1 Like

Yes the missing %20 is the problem. But instead of saying that you typed %20, please paste the entire actual link you typed, including the %20. Or show a screenshot. Then we can look for syntax errors.

Here’s the link: [6.2a aa as god](6.2a%20aa as god)

And to begin an auto-formatted link, whether you are using Markdown links or Wikilinks, you still must type “[[” to begin the link search. Then start typing “6.2a” and when you hit enter, it should fill in the entire link as a Markdown link. Including %20.

I thought I created the link above using the insert a link button on the “editor tool bar.” But now I don’t find an "editor with toolbar. So I guess I don’t know how I created it.

That said when I started with “[[” instead I got a link that works, i.e.,
6.2a aa as god

So thanks.

You still had 2 spaces in your link. You need to replace all the spaces, not just one.

1 Like

Yes, I saw that that was done when I started creating the link with “[[”.

Thanks. Sorry I’m so difficult. I keep jumping around, looking for the right note taking app–Obsidian, Dynalist, Logseq, Vim with Vimwiki.

What I really want I MS-DOS era MaxThink. I have been lost since it disappeared from the picture as Windows began replacing MS-DOS.

1 Like

You might be able to run MaxThink in an emulator.

If you’re manually typing Markdown links with spaces, you can wrap the path in angle brackets instead of typing %20.

[6.2a aa as god](<6.2a aa as god>)

Thanks for the suggestion regarding links with empty spaces.

There is an MS-DOS emulator. It was created to run MS-DOS games. I’ve tried MaxThink in it but abandoned it after a while. Some
things I was used to didn’t work. I forget what they are now.

There is an improved version of the version of MaxThink developed for Windows’ graphical interface. But there has not been one for the Mac interface. I’d love to give it a try. The original Windows version was crippled compared to MaxThink for MS-DOS.

I’m eager to try the new Outliner Obsidian plugin. It might be what I’d like to have. But I’m gonna need some hand-holding to get started with it.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.