Managing Links (URLs) with Dataview

Hello
I work with many URLs to documentations, tutorials, repositories etc. and the redundancy triggers my OCD. For example if I have a three quotes in a note can’t I at least notate the URL to the source at the three places by a placeholder number like [1] and define it at the end of the note like [1] [caption](https://www.google.de)

I may also use the exact same source other notes to quote other parts from that source because it is so interesting or to use it as source for code blocks.

I would also like the ability to track from a central point where this quote is used. For searching purposes too.

For example what is with Footnotes? Are they listed at the end of the document ? It’s basically the same concept just a little different.

But my aim is actually not Markup but if I can’t read the URLs from a note with Dataview and run queries on them or having them put in a note when I cite the URL via markdown.

Is there anything I can do to maintain my URLs in a Relational Database (like) fashion ?

Thank you very much

coreSpotz

It sounds like you want a citation manager (I think Zotero is a, or the, popular one but I don’t have personal experience). Other people here definitely use them, so maybe search around to see if that might suit you,

1 Like

Do you mean like this?

[Reference links][1]. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Link [again][1]. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed [third link][1] do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. 

[1]: https://www.google.de

…which renders like this:

Reference links. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Link again. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed third link do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Yep. Thanks. This is a move in the right direction, definitely.

But is there a way to manage URLs with DataView ?

Every new link should be written to a specific “URLs” note from where it can be read by Dataview and one may run Queries.

I don’t know if markdown Tables could mimic SQL tables for that purpose and if the Dataview API could address specific rows, columns and cells from that Table.

Yours,
coreSpotz

1 Like

Sadly this doesn’t work. It works on stackexchange.com for example but I tried it in a Obsidian Note and it doesn’t recognize this syntax.

1 Like

Should work in Obsidian, like this:

Sample file attached:

reflinkobsidian.md.zip (817 Bytes)

1 Like

I know very little about Dataview, but I hope someone else will be able to help.

1 Like

Reference links don’t work in Live Preview.

1 Like

Aye, but thankfully they do in reading mode.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.