Making Obsidian able to manage (not render!) TeX files (any txt file, more in general)

Hi everyone!

Nice to join you in this great community!

My request is… the title of this post.

Use case or problem

It would be insanely great, for me, to be able to use all the Obsidian superpowers in linking-backlinking-etc on .tex files. I don’t need Obsidian to be able to typeset (render) them. I would do that in my usual way.

Actual workaround

If I change filename.tex into filename.md, Obsidian does what I need. (Of course, not being able to typeset/render it correctly, but I don’t care this!)

I’m really looking forward to hearing good news on this!
Please, please, please… :wink:

4 Likes

Hey, I am a heavy .tex user and my initial reaction is that this would be really cool.

However, I don’t see the direct use of this and I am genuinely interested if you’ve thought of some cool use cases? How would you go around markdown formatting when you actually go to a different software to render the .tex files? Markdown syntax will break in latex.

Glad you’re interested, Boris!

If this were possible, ops when this will be possible ;-), I’ll be able to create a wiki of all my (huge collection) of .tex files. All I have to do (still work in progress, though, because this idea just arose half an hour ago…) is to make a LaTeX package that manage [[Links|links]] as if they were \href (from the hyperref package)!

Makes this sense to you?

I think this thread is relevant

Indicates prospects for Obsidian expanding from just .md aren’t good.

Yes Dor, I see. And I’m quite sad about that… :-((

Thanks for your clue.