Make footnotes inside exported PDFs work

Hi,

If you copy-paste this piece of markdown in Obsidian and then switch to the preview mode, the links work wonderfully and they even get highlighted when you click in any of the reference links (like these [^1])

The PDF link should work[^3]

## References
[^1]: But right now I think they are just colored pieces of text
[^2]: I've only seen this kind of feature work in PDFs created via Acrobat Reader.
[^3]: Should it work? I think yes[^1], unless it needs something proprietary to work[^2]

But if you then export the file to PDF you’ll get this (sorry can’t attach PDFs):

Where the links don’t work.

What would be needed to make this work? Is it even possible in the first place?

4 Likes

strictly speaking these are not in-page links, but footnotes.

2 Likes

In my opinion I would consider this:
In your example, the [^3] in the text is the first footnote that appears into the document, so it is exported as footnote 1 in the pdf file.
In your example, [^1] is the second footnote into the document so it is exported as footnote 2 in the pdf file.
In your example, [^2] is the third footnote that appears into the document, so it is exported as footnote 3.

Maybe this differences between the footnote file number vs order has something to do with links don’t working?

I think it makes sense for the footnotes to be organized in the order they were called. I’ve also just tried it in the way you suggest but it doesn’t make a difference, that is, the links are still not working.

I believe this is just functionality that hasn’t been implemented, yet.

1 Like

Great neeeews! This is now working in v0.9.20 :smiley:

2 Likes