macOS: When no windows are open, clicking the icon on the Dock should open the "Welcome Dialog"

Use case or problem

On the Mac when opening an app it is customary for it to show a “welcome dialog” that allows common operations: create new , open , and a list of recent . Obsidian already have this dialog, but it is not shown when the app is opening (either cold launch of first window).

Proposed solution

Open the welcome/recents dialog instead of the last opened vault in these cases:

• From could launch (unless the app was killed - CMD+Q of File / Quit (once File becomes a thing, in these cases re-opening the vault that was open when quitting is the expected behavior)
  • Obsidian is running but no windows are currently open
    • E.g. I clicked the close window button on the vault I was working on, next time I open Obsidian show the recents dialog so I can pick what I want to work on

This is a common pattern on the Mac, Xcode behaves exactly like that. As do others like: Pixelmator Pro, “iWork” suite (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote).

To be clear, I’m not proposing this behavior is right or whether it should be adopted on other platforms.

Current workaround (optional)

Click the Open Vault icon on the lower left corner, then close the vault that was opening but wasn’t the one I wanted to work on.

Related feature requests (optional)

I didn’t find any.