[MacOS]: Obsidian does not save and get stuck in a limbo state (failed to save - Timed out)

A bug that causes a kernel panic is very different than one that simply causes a file to be truncated. Only very low level bugs can cause KPs and so it makes sense that that one needed help from Apple to fix.

Contrast that to this data loss bug which seems much more like a race condition or some other side effect. While it may be true that it only affects macOS at this point, that does not mean the bug isn’t in Electron, CodeMirror, or Obsidian. In fact, it’s highly likely that this is NOT a macOS bug because to my knowledge it has only been reported with Obsidian (again, contrast to the KPs which were also widely reported in other popular Electron apps such as VSCode and Discord)

Thank you for your reply!

Sad to hear there is not much I can do. I did (1), but this won’t solve the problem at all since said snapshots are wiped as well. Do you know of any public plugin that could take care of (2) and (3) for me?

I just can’t wrap my head around how this is a problem people life with. If I can’t solve the initial problem, I try to fight the symptoms and put something in place that counter steers the problem, doesn’t I? This is a paid product after all. Somewhere I read about a warning banner being added in v0.13.25 that doesn’t vanish after a second, but this seems barely adequate to a bug like this. Especially so, because people are claiming they can’t even copy and paste their data out of it at that point.

Nevertheless I see the potential in this app that you called ‘freaking good’ after playing around with it today a bit more. Still not putting my data in…

So the first question is ‘Did the file written in Obsidian ever get written to the disc?’
Followed by ‘Does Obsidian have permission to write to the folder you were trying to save in?’
If it’s not written in the first place, it’s quite a different problem to the original data being lost during an edit.
Then ‘Is there a sync service running?’

If you get a File System error, you do need to pay attention because it means that the file system isn’t working at that moment and data may not be being written to disc at all. Sometimes the message can be intermittent if two programs are attempting to access that file at the same time.

txt and md are the same - it’s only the extension that’s different.
You can write markdown syntax into txt files. You can write markdown into any txt file, whether it supports markdown or not. Obsidian doesn’t fully support any extension except md, but there is a plugin which shows you the syntax in action.
Some markdown editors fully support txt as an extension.

It’s a bit difficult to recollect the exact sequence of actions for me now. Following with a grain of salt. If there is somewhere log-data I can provide, I’ll gladly share that. To answer the question: I think it did. I was fiddling with the Markdown syntax (new for me) and wanted to see it through the TextEditor. Closed Obsidian (proper quit) and opened the file with the TextEditor to see how it looks without rendering. Closed the file and reopened Obsidian. Continued writing the file when at some point the warning popped up. I thought this would resolve itself at some point and continued writing. Closed Obsidian some time after. After reopening it, the file was wiped. 0 KB.

As I said, switching to light theme was the only change I made to Obsidian. For the files I made a folder locally.

I had a similar problem 2 months ago but it might have been a one-off — I haven’t seen it since.

1 Like

First time user and got this error within the first 10 minutes of experience. Created a test2, could enter text, but it didn’t save. Started in my root dropbox folder. Connecting to internet through a known flaky work vpn. mac v0.13.23. No plugins setup by me, perhaps some by default. I did get the warning dialogue but just kept going cuz, uh, I’ve been trained to ignore most such warnings. Restarting working fine but test2 was empty (but created).

Sounds like dropbox and maybe the vpn is contributing to the issue. Other apps (and I use a lot) deal with this fine. Worst case they delay a couple of seconds while trying to open or save something.

Here is an attempt to gather information about the error condition. I hope I managed to catch even some new information to help remedy the situation.

I have used Obsidian now for a month or two and have written about three hundred files to my vault. I have experienced this bug for two or three times on macOS and one time on iOS. I do not know if the iOS bug was the same as this one though, I did not have opportunity at the time to look at it in any detail.

In chronological order. I’m annoyed in retrospect for not recording time stamps.

• Obsidian gave a popup that the file system operation timed out.
  • I checked for zero size files in Finder and the current file I was editing shows it has no content on disk.
  • The contents were still on screen so I copied the text to another program.
  • I then tested if I could write to the folder with TextEdit and it worked fine.
  • Finder shows the iCloud cloud symbol on the vault folder, icon has a mouse over text “Downloading”
  • On the subfolder the iCloud icon mouse over is “Waiting to Update”
  • No files in the folder show the cloud icon.
  • After awhile the Vault cloud icon mouse over text changed to “Waiting to Update” also.
  • The issue has not resolved in about half an hour.
  • My vault folder shows that 3 bytes are left from the download, seems stuck.
  • Writing to the vault with Obsidian on my iPhone works ok.
  • Phone also sees the current file that I was working on as empty.
  • Obsidian still shows the popup infrequently that the filesystem operation timed out.
  • Also tried to use another Electron app Discord to save an image to the vault folder and it worked ok.
  • Tried creating a new file with Obsidian and it does not react to the command.
  • I divided the workspace to two panes and the new pane shows that no file is open and displays the buttons to create or open files.
  • Tried creating a new file by pressing the button, but with no reaction from Obsidian.
  • Tried to click a file in the Obsidian file explorer, the pane changed from showing the no file open screen to show a file called “No File”, and I can now write text in the window, the file does not exist and the text does not get written to disk. The file I clicked on the file pane was left untouched.
  • Curiously the behavior of Obsidian changed. If I now close the “No File” pane and then split the pane again Obsidian shows the “No File” named file again instead of the screen with the buttons.
  • The original pane on the screen has a link, I clicked the link and Obsidian reloaded the current file in its empty state.
  • Running out of ideas to try, I pressed Cmd-R for Force Reload and Obsidian resolved its state and started functioning normally again.
  • Even after the situation seems resolved and Obsidian is working as normal, the vault folder in Finder shows the cloud icon stuck on “Waiting to Update”.
  • I have two other Obsidian instances open on different vaults, unfortunately I didn’t test them at the time the error occurred. However the other vaults work as normal without requiring reloading.
  • On the following day the iCloud cloud icon on the vault folder is still stuck, seems to be permanently stuck.

Obsidian version 0.13.23 (installer version 0.13.23).
macOS BigSur ver. 11.6.1
MacBook Pro 13-inch, M1, 2020, 16Gb, 2Tb
iCloud+, iCloud Drive 200Gb, with Optimize Mac Storage option turned off and 45.61Gb available space.
I have two users on my other MacBook Pro, both use same Obsidian installation but on different vaults, both were loaded but the computer was sleeping at the time of error.
I also have Dropbox, but do not use it with Obsidian. Mentioning it just because it is notorious for misbehaving and has caused problems for me previously.
I do not have Time Machine enabled on this machine, but my other MacBook Pro does take Time Machine backups from all my vaults to QNap NAS. I did not realize to check if Time Machine was active on the other computer during the error. It does that even while sleeping.

Again, I hope this helps.

I invite you to download and reinstall obsidian from the website version 0.13.30. The new installer contains an updated version of electron, it might affect this issue.

2 Likes

Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

Thank you for the heads up, installed. Hoping for the best. :crossed_fingers:t2:

Sorry for the double ping but to quick fix another bug report we will do another major electron update in version 0.13.31. So please download and reinstall that one.

1 Like

Just had the same issue and no vpn or dropbox involved. assumed I just set the thing up wrong but seems like maybe its not just me…

Hi there. Just in case its helpful–

I just downloaded Obsidian today (like, maybe an hour ago). Installed what I assume is the most current version of Obsidian on my iMac (M1, running Big Sur 11.6). No add ons yet. Created a new vault, set it to save to the documents folder. So, wasn’t expecting any syncing issues. But immediately got the “failed to save” error. Multiple times. Assumed I had just set this up incorrectly (brand new to Obsidian after all) but when I came here looking for better setup advice I discovered this thread. So maybe its the same issue. In which case, the update above seems not to have fully solved the problem?

Anyway, if anyone has advice I’m happy to hear it. Would love to sort this out so I can at least give the program a proper test run.

Oh, here’s a screenshot of the error messages in case it helps:

1 Like

This topic has kind of become a catch-all for anything anyone’s encountered with write failures, and it’s not obvious all root causes are the same.

I’m just guessing, but since your vault is in your documents folder and you mentioned syncing, is iCloud or some other program moving files out from under Obsidian while it’s trying to write to the file? And does Obsidian have permission to write to the Documents folder?

If you go to bug reports and create a new topic, there is a standard template to help guide providing useful contextual info: debug info, platform, versions, things you’ve tried etc.

Same problem as @Nus. Fresh install on OSX macbook pro.

Tried different vault locations: iCloud Drive, iCloud Documents, local Downloads folder (which is not synced to iCloud). All get stuck in a ‘fail to save’ loop.

I’m also having trouble with Obsidian Sync - I believe that’s a separate issue though and I’ve disabled its plugin.

@Nus pretty sure this is unrelated to other issues in this thread: kernel panics, weird sync issues, etc and you’d probably get help easier creating your own post rather than glomming something unrelate. Make sure you have used the latest installer and Obsidian has permissions to write to iCloud Drive, Documents, Downloads, etc. Check Mac Settings / Security and Privacy / Files and Folders and make sure you haven’t denied necessary permissions.

Or there might be another file permissions issue or another process like an anti-virus program causing issues. Have you seen EPERM issue on MacOS - #7 by drcasmith ?

I’ve created a fresh bug report @Nus and @pmbauer. Thanks! [Mac OSX] Vault saving fails after pasting images into Notes

2 Likes

Great tip, I suspect this may be what’s causing my issue too

Amigos a mi aveces obsidian me borra toda la nota y lo remplaza con un monton de simbolos a que se debe me da miedo que me lo llegue a hacer con varias notas