Mac: Problems with filenames containing Unicode characters

Steps to reproduce

1. I create a new note by right-clicking in the file explorer, inside a sub-folder
  2. A new “Untitled” note appears
  3. I click the title above the editor and rename the page and press Enter
  4. The cursor moves to the editor, but the note title resets to “Untitled”. Additionally a second new “Untitled” note appears in the file explorer.
  5. When closing and re-opening Obsidian, one of the “Untitled” notes now has the correct title that was entered, but the second “Untitled” note still exists.

Expected result

After typing the title and pressing enter, the new note should have the correct title, both in the title line above the editor and in the file explorer. No second note should be created.

Actual result

1. The cursor moves to the editor, but the note title resets to “Untitled”. Additionally a second new “Untitled” note appears in the file explorer.
  2. When closing and re-opening Obsidian, one of the “Untitled” notes now has the correct title that was entered, but the second “Untitled” note still exists.

Environment

• Operating system: macOS Catalina 10.15.5
  • Obsidian version: v0.6.4
  • Using custom CSS: no

Additional information

No errors in dev console.
This does not happen when I rename a note in the root directory, just in sub-directories.

2 Likes

I can’t reproduce on 0.6.5. Let me know if you have this problem after we ship the update

1 Like

I still can reproduce this in v0.6.5, but I think it only occurs within folders that contain special characters. I write my notes in German, so there are some folders that have german umlauts in them (like ä, ö or ü).
I also tested this on folders that contain characters with accents (like é), and it happens there, too.

Additionally, when creating such folders, the folders immediately disappear once the name containing the special character was entered. So I guess it is some kind of encoding/unicode related bug.

I can’t reproduce this on 0.6.6. If you still have this problem after we release it, please make a video with loop (or anything else) in case there is something I am missing.

wait… maybe this is a mac problem and I am on windows…

@mediapathic can you reproduce this bug?

1 Like

@MamboSteve @WhiteNoise Ok, I’ve looked into this. Turns out it’s a unicode issue, and related to something we’re already working on. So, we’re on it. Thanks!

2 Likes

Just FYI: this still persists in 0.6.7.

@BENWF We are aware of it. Generally, we move fixed bugs in the bug graveyard section of the forum.

1 Like

Ah, good to know. Thank you!

Steps to reproduce

Rename a note with Korean like 안녕하세요

Expected result

The note renamed with Korean does not disappear.

Actual result

The note disappear from file explorer. I can search it, but I cannot access it.
After command + R to reload the app, The note appears, and everything is fine.

Environment

• Operating system: MacOS 10.15.4
  • Obsidian version: v0.6.7
  • Using custom CSS: No

Additional information

Ok, we can reproduce it. We’ll try to figure out what happens. We are aware of problems with unicode chararcters on MAC. Maybe this bug is related.

I tested this with the Korean title (안녕하세요) suggest in pueues post. I can confirm that it is the exact same behavior for me as with the German umlauts (ä, ö and ü).

Should be fixed in 0.7. Let me know if it works when we release it.

4 Likes

I can confirm that this works in 0.7.3! Nice :smile: