Mac : Failed to load Community Plugin

Hi Team,

The basic issue I am facing is that since 01 Dec 2022 on my Mac, I unable to load the Community Plugins on Obsidian. I have created new vaults , sandbox and installed the latest version of the Obsidian but unable to resolve the issue. I have also deleted the “/Users/kunalbalajeejha/Library/Application Support/obsidian” also, but it also does not address the issue.

Any guidance will be helpful. I have recently upgraded to “macOS Monterey Version 12.6.1 (21G217)”. I don’t know if it has anything to with it.

Please let me know if any other details are required.

This is the error which I can see in the console.

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.0.3
Installer version: v1.0.3
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.6.0: Thu Sep 29 20:12:57 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8020.240.7~1/RELEASE_X86_64 21.6.0
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 0
Plugins enabled: 0

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

2 Likes

you have most likely a network problem

 > System Settings > Network > Firewall > Options > is the firewall blocking incoming connections for Obsidian?

The above is from Ventura. Can’t remember if the Firewall is in the same location in Monterey.

Hi eightning,

The firewall is already disabled on this machine.

Hi WhiteNoise,

In the same network, I have my office laptop which is on Windows. And Obsidian is working fine on that system. I am just not sure which stone to turn to solve this issue.

Thanks.

1. Do you have another network you can try the Mac on, such as tethering it to an iPhone?
  2. You could also try running the Mac in safe mode to see if that more pure state helps to isolate a gremlin.
  3. Or perhaps try reinstalling Obsidian in case there is a small corruption.
  4. Wonder if this new thread is similar.

In the past day or so, two (three?) folks in Discord resolved not connecting by changing their DNS settings.

Late edit from the Discord bot:

We’ve had reports that an ISP in India has blocked GitHub at the DNS level, which Obsidian uses to update themes and plugins. You can fix it by switching to a different DNS server, then restarting Obsidian.

1 Like

Hadn’t thought of that. Got to be worth trying. Any particular DNS recommendation?

1 Like

One that works? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I use my ISP ones because they’re the fastest (for me). OpenDNS is another option.
primary: 208.67.222.222
secondary: 208.67.220.220

2 Likes

Thanks. Hope that helps the OP. And might be interesting just to try another DNS provider anyway. I currently use Cloudflare and Quad9 on different devices and both work well.

1 Like

I haven’t looked for a mac option, but DNS Benchmark is simple Windows app to test different DNServer speeds (this wouldn’t really help in this case, but worth having in one’s toolbox)

1 Like

Thanks to everyone for suggesting the DNS switch. I switched to the Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and now it is working.

:+1:

3 Likes

Thankyou so much for the help. Should I choose cloudflare DNS setting or Google’s public DNS setting? And is it safe to change the DNS settings of our network? Please answer.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.