Ideaverse for Obsidian (formerly the LYT Kit) now available!

It wouldn’t be too hard to keep it in another vault for easy reference. It’s something I should do more of, since I still haven’t mastered making “Maps of Content”. Initially, I used the LYT Kit to get situated with Obsidian while watching Nick’s intro to Obsidian videos.

If you wanted to link to resources in the LYT Kit, it couldn’t be in a different vault. Keeping the LYT Kit in another vault has worked for me since I don’t link to notes in it.

To easily open another vault, press Ctrl/Cmd + P and search for Open another vault. You can even assign a custom hotkey to Open another vault so you don’t have to search for it. Hope this helps :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey @nickmilo, I just wanted to say thank you for your thoughts shared in this kit. I saw this post in passing, and when I read " * Caveats for Asperger’s and ADHD" in the release notes I wanted to see what that was about. I opened it in Publish and the thoughts you expressed in that section and especially in “Mental Squeeze Point” felt so very familiar to me with some of my ideas and experiences of late. It was refreshing and helpful to hear another person put these feelings into words.

Thank you for the reminder and the suggestion. I wanted you to know you’ve made a positive influence today :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m sorry if this is in the wrong place but I’m new and am concerned about plugins. Likely I’m carrying over baggage from wordpress or other stuff, but I downloaded this and there are 14 plugins and 10 needed to be updated. So, now I’m wondering- hey wait, how old is this? And I can’t tell from the edit history how recently this post was updated. And lastly, that leads me back to my plugin concern, I appreciate the decentralized nature of everything here, but how do I know if one plugin has “sort of become the default by practice” so I’m not using some neglected version of say a plugin that uses a hot key to print a time/date stamp in my note? Apologies if I’m not improving the conversation- perhaps I should post this in the help section.

It’s good to be wary. No need to install those plugins but it does help with the experience. You can always toggle them on/off one at a time. I think the last update I shared was only a few months ago, so if the plugins need updating, that’s really a testament to how prolific those plugin developers have been. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Thanks Nick, BTW, this is probably the wrong place to ask this but I got your auto email for LYT and am watching “The LYT Kit Mini Course on Fluid Frameworks” that I believe was the first link provided. It’s fine that the video is older than the template, but one difference is you seem to have abandoned the numerical naming to keep MOCs at the top of the structure. Is there an explanation for this? More importantly, where would a discussion or Q&A be on stuff like this so I can keep up with the video. Thanks. (I’ll happily move or delete this note)

1 Like

@gabecolors @nickmilo I have this exact same question and came to the forums to find the answer. When I searched for “000” in the LYT kit, it looks like it is an “alias” for the Home note now. (I’m fairly new to Obsidian, so I’m not sure what this means exactly).

In the LYT Kit, perhaps he’s using classification in a more subtle way, akin to metadata? I’m wondering if this is an intentional simplification of his system so new users don’t get bogged down; or if, instead, it’s a reflection in changes to his personal practice.

I’m a MLIS student/librarian and found this post very appealing: Cataloging, Classification, Information Science, PKMs and YOU! I was hoping to find more discussion about a modified UDC or other similar classification.

3 Likes

i did a community talk about that Obsidian Community Talk: Knowledge Organization in Obsidian - YouTube

Hey Gabe and @fellex , this is the right place to discuss it.

I haven’t really explained how the LYT Kit can help manage knowledge and how it can get people thinking about thinking.

So this live event is long overdue:

The agenda for the event is as follow:

• Overview of the LYT Kit v5
  • Q&A
  • Download the LYT Kit v5
  • Details on the upcoming LYT Workshop

Some of topics I will cover:

• How to think about your Home note.
  • How to approach Tags and Nested Tags.
  • Folders: What is too many?
  • How “Idea Emergence” is a paradigm-shifting way of approaching ideas.
  • How “fluid frameworks” like MOCs and a Home note to elevate your thinking today—and years from now.
  • Common structuring traps.
  • Why I removed the numbers on my top ten MOCs.
  • Helpful updates in the PKM MOC and the related notes on Plugins.
  • Why I took away the Calendar MOC.
  • How a public-facing digital garden still needs the “Art of Link Curation”.
  • On Metadata: Why the kit shifted Back Matter to Front Matter. And how to keep control over the story being told.
  • My current thoughts on YAML and Dataview.
  • Updates to the Cybertron theme.
  • Hidden easter eggs in the forest.

The new download won’t be available for a few weeks, but it will be available at Sunday’s live event. Feel free to check out the limited online version for now.

You can start asking your questions right now.

I’ll try answer the most upvoted ones on Sunday :pray:

5 Likes

I can’t believe I missed this. By just one day.

Will you make a replay available?

2 Likes

The replay is available here: LYT Kit v5 Overview

6 Likes

Hello to everyone,

Forgive my ignorance, but I have no one here to ask but you. Actually, I searched many places but couldn’t find a solution.

What exactly is this LYT kit? How to download and how to use? Is there anyone who can explain these things one by one and gradually, please, for those who start from scratch, both zettelkasten and obsidian, like us?

I would be grateful if there is.

1 Like

It’s just a collection of linked notes in a few folders to get you thinking about how you might want to organize your personal knowledge.

@vesan shared a helpful link a couple posts above.

hello my dear friend,

First of all, thank you for your kindness.

I did not see a fully explanatory post above. I guess I’ve been blinded by just using evernote for 10 years. Please don’t be offended.

I would also like to ask your opinion on a subject that I have asked for help before.

1 Like

First of all, I apologize if a similar topic has been opened before. I may have overlooked the Obsidian program and the forum because it was my first time using it.

I terminated my 10-year evernote premium subscription and while I was in the process of trying applications such as roam research, obsidian, notion, I decided on obsidian with the advice of a friend and I signed up for sync yesterday.

But I guess now that I’m older (40) and having trouble keeping track, I have a hard time keeping up with a lot of things. Therefore, the obsidian program felt very different from classic note-taking applications such as evernote.

Firstly; Why do we always have to write with symbols like we write code? Isn’t there an easier way other than using it as a saved template? Because believe me, I struggle to make it look the way I want, rather than taking notes.

Latter; While I am working in professional business life, I am doing my master’s degree even though I am at this age, and besides these, I do readings on various subjects. In order to be able to apply the Zettelkasten method, believe me, I watched the tutorial videos of different people dozens of times, read their articles, but somehow I could not understand what their system was.

I would be grateful if someone could help me explain this very simply, like an elementary school student. I’m asking for those who read both fiction novels and academic books of this type: how many folders do you create? How do you write your notes on them?

Please help very simply. I had no choice but to post here, sorry to bother you.

Good day to you all, love and respect.

edit: I downloaded the kit and started reading it first, without knowing about the more refined version at Obsidian Publish . Most of my feedback seems to have been already addressed there.

The Linking Your Thinking kit was useful for me, but there were a couple confusing aspects. First, there are altogether too many acronyms. In fact the very first page starts with an undefined acronym (MOC for Map of Content, I think). This should be easy to fix by linking acronyms to the notes that define the key terms used here. There were several other acronyms that I either had to google or I just decided not to care what they mean and moved on to the next idea.

The other thing I noticed wasn’t so much confusing as frustrating, which is the number of broken links. For example, I was interested in the booknotes template, but the link I saw to it didn’t work, and a search didn’t seem to show it either.

But I don’t want to come here and complain. I bring these things up in the spirit of constructive criticism. Speaking of constructive, as I said the kit was very helpful for me. Using it as an example I’ve begun to reorganize my own notes to support the notion discussed here of evergreen notes.

Thank you for this and I hope it will continue to be helpful for many others.

3 Likes

That interview has a new location.

Thanks for the heads up on the links; glad you found some value in there

What does LYT stand for? Thanks :slight_smile:

Linking Your Thinking LYT Kit (linkingyourthinking.com)

3 Likes

What does LYT stand for?