Ideaverse for Obsidian (formerly the LYT Kit) now available!

@RikD Check out http://xanadu.com/. There are videos of him showing it and even installable versions. I suspect it’ll never get any adoption because it is just too old/clunky looking, and I don’t really see the micropayments that he put so much focus on being something that most people care about.

Your MOCs correspond more closely to what Vannevar Bush called “trails” (see his “As we may think”), or Luhmann’s Folgezettels — these both are meant to develop an idea or a subject. Ontology is a map of already developed (And agreed upon) knowledge.

4 Likes

I think we’re debating semantics here, but to challenge this: it depends on what kind of ontology you’re talking about. Searle’s social ontology refers to the realities of social objects—particularly how some social objects are differently reified to different people. I suspect that most of the concepts developed and considered in most PKMs are more of this form than, say, Bunge’s ontology in which the world is composed of physical Things.

To get even more philosophical, it’s a contradiction to say that an idea in development is not real in and of itself. The idea is in your PKM system—therefore it is, therefore it may be ontologically represented.

4 Likes

This is way over my head — my PhD is in a totally different area :wink: I see your point; I was referring more to how the concept of ontology is used in computer science — as a practical tool/reference for knowledge organization. (I might be off here as well though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No, that’s totally right! It’s true that if a domain is “settled,” an ontology of said domain is fairly fixed (and these are used often in CS). My work (it’s computer science-y too) is focused on when we aren’t sure what we’re trying to represent in our information systems. I ask questions like, “How do you represent something you have no ontology for?” So, I’m kinda pushing the limits of what ontology is for and how it can be used. In this respect, I would say that the ontology of ontologies is unsettled.

In other words, I think this ontology-PKM debate is kinda bleeding edge for theory, so debate is necessary. Many definitions are roughly defined and many decisions remain undecided, in my view.

8 Likes

In the past I have seen ontologies for keyword tagging photos but I can’t find it. Are there known ontologies available for use?

Hi!
I’m not so sure that I fully understood the IMF, any explanation will be much appreciated!

Here is my structure:

1. INDEX
    in INDEX I have domain of interest corresponding to some MOCs :
    LiteratureMOC
    ArtMOC
    SpiritualityMOC etc.

2. In LiteratureMOC I have other MOCs:

EpicMOC, PoetryMOC, DramaMOC, LiteraryTheoryMOC

1. In LiteraryTheoryMOC I have other MOCs:
    FormalismMOC, StructuralismMOC etc

My question is: in StructuralismMOC, for example, should I link all my notes related to Structuralism? This is the part where I stuck…

1. Assuming that StructuralismMOC is arranged like this:
    a. Definition
    Note1
    Note2
    Note3
    b. PRO Structuralism
    Claude-Levy Strauss MOC
    Victor Turner MOC

And in Claude-Levy Strauss MOC I have:

Theory

Note 1
Note 2

Arguments

Note 1
Note 2
etc

IS THIS a correct approach of IMF & MOCs?

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

I think all of these PKM methods are frameworks that you have to adapt and make your own. It seems you are saying you have nested MOCs and that your Note 1 and Note 2 might be linked into different MOCs as appropriate, that seems right. How you arrange content on your MOC is up to you and may evolve as the content gets richer and/or less dynamic (more evergreen).

1 Like

Many of you have heard about or used the LYT Kit (formerly known at the IMF Kit). It’s been downloaded a lot.

It’s super powerful, but as you know, “With great power comes great responsibility.” I want to provide as much clarity as possible with how to best use it.

So I’m hosting a free webinar this Saturday at 11am PST (Los Angeles time).

Register for the webinar here.

It’s 30 minutes.

• I’ll cover how to best use the LYT Kit (so philosophy + practicality).
  • I’ll also share an overview of the upcoming Linking Your Thinking workshop (Oct. 27th)

And… You’ll receive the LYT Kit afterwards!

(Otherwise, it won’t be available until Oct 13th.)

Hope to see you this Saturday!

9 Likes

Hmmm… might have to stay up til 2AM for my timezone. I guess it’s worth the sacrifice lol

2 Likes

Hi @nickmilo, is the webinar available as a recording? I’ve started recently with Obsidian & LYT and would appreciate a deeper look into the thinking behind it.

4 Likes

Hopefully in less than seven days

1 Like

I’m only now digging into what I can do with Obsidian, although I suspect that I’ll ultimately use Dynalist and Obsidian as complementary tools, certainly as I have more clarity about which role each will have for me.

@Klaas and @nickmilo How about “Zettel Weave”? :thinking:

2 Likes

Those are called Folgezettel, in case you are interested in the original terminology.

3 Likes

Surely you are not alone.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/284177385_CONCEPTUALIZATION_AND_VISUAL_KNOWLEDGE_ORGANIZATION_A_SURVEY_OF_ONTOLOGY-BASED_SOLUTIONS?_sg=tBAOl2mSJ4ZzZjRVgCIGGYCUwD3H8Dqu3ua226D7FTlnAddc78LFDoQdG2puJpaK7SbzS4PJURXmTD5YCPrruqY4hY7g4ggsi1Kz7NBG.b_XXfDEBZ86qZQ25zDNlIpzdUzQ7kMtycun3A8LXMGZtMqu5So0CAqd8PAKKKN-CX8ic0qM3PU4kR1f_7LDsIA

1 Like

MOCs like HyperMaps that are the territory?

Clearly as I always thought: Problems often define their own solutions, and it is particularly true relating the problem how to “improve the intellectual effectiveness of the individual human being”

1 Like

Two of us! Two of us! Thanks for the link, I’ll try to read it sometime soon.

1 Like

I scrolled through the list of people I am connected with on Linked In https://www.linkedin.com/in/gyuri-lajos/
30+ of those have deep interest in Networked Thinking, Knowledge Graphs and by implications Ontologies defined as Conceptualization of a domain of interest.
I guess there is probably more on Twitter
https://twitter.com/TrailMarks

My top tweet of the month is a testimony for this interest

2 Likes